SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

Huge project... completed!

karin_mt
9 years ago

Hello garden friends,

Well, it's a cold (49 degrees) rainy weekend here, so I'm not outside as I'd normally be. But I have a landmark event to share, which is the completion of a 3 year stone wall building project. Bear with me, I have photos throughout the whole process, some of which I've posted here before. But now that it's all the way done, it's neat to see the whole process.

Before. Pre-construction. This was a nice little wall I built with shady plants on the north side of the house. All was well with the world.
{{gwi:260958}}

October 2011. The first day of a remodel of our house. About half the pre-existing garden was removed to make way for a new garage stall.
{{gwi:260959}}

May 2012. The construction was done and left a steep slope in the side yard. I decided to build a rock wall to retain the slope. How hard could it be? I ordered about 3 tons of rock and got to work.
{{gwi:260960}}

July 10, 2012{{gwi:260961}}

July 15, 2012
{{gwi:260962}}

August 14, 2012. I blew through the original 3 tons and ordered more. I was so into it I took a week off work to just devote all my energy to the wall.
{{gwi:260963}}

August 18, 2012. The first big part of the wall is nearing completion. I decided to put stairs through the wall, but opted to use concrete blocks for that part. DH, who is the man in charge when things actually need to be level and square, built the steps.
Oh that is our formerly white cat Pearl, enjoying a dust bath at the foot of the wall.
{{gwi:260964}}

Aug 25, 2012. After another 1.5 tons of rock, I started on the upper wall/terrace that would contain a little shade garden along the side of the new garage.
{{gwi:260965}}

Aug 29, 2012. The rocks in this upper wall were cast-offs from a stonemason. Note this corner piece, which is already shaped like a corner. How clever is that?
{{gwi:260966}}

Sept 4, 2012. Approaching 7 tons into the wall so far. I had no idea it was going to be this huge. The grey/white blur near the middle of the photo is our 2 cats enjoying a chase.
I've started moving plants in. Daylilies along the outer edge and hostas and heuchera next to the building.
{{gwi:260967}}

May 2013. The wall did not fall down over the winter! I resumed work on it in May, first by rebuilding the front edge, which was terribly insufficient and showed that I had no sense of the ultimate scale of the wall when I started.
{{gwi:260968}}

June 2013. The first part of the wall and path, now complete, provide motivation for Phase II.
{{gwi:260969}}

July 13, 2013. Another 1.5 tons of rock delivered. The guys at the rock yard have no idea what to make of my steady need for "refills."
{{gwi:260971}}

July 20, 2013. A fresh batch of rock always spurs fast progress at first.
{{gwi:260972}}

Aug. 8, 2013. I paused work on the wall to get the rest of the place ready for the garden tour. I'd hoped to be finished in time for the tour, but I didn't want to rush it. So, visitors got to see the wall in progress, which all the guys seemed to like.
{{gwi:260973}}

Sept 12, 2013. With 2 corners on this section, it was really hard to come up with pieces that were the right size. I took the plunge and bought my first power tool so I could cut rocks. STAND BACK!
{{gwi:260974}}

Sept 30, 2013. Oh yeah, baby. I had way too much fun with the power tool. I can't imagine any other way of getting the last pieces to fit together.
{{gwi:260975}}

Sept 30 again. Proud moment! The bulk of the work is done, the wall is complete. Still some edging and path work to do for next year.
{{gwi:260976}}

Aug 2014. The daylily row has come into its own. DH loves orange daylilies, and this whole part of the yard is planted with his favorite plants, since it borders his workshop.
{{gwi:260977}}

Aug 2014. The home stretch. Installation of the rest of the path (tested here by Pearl cat), and lawnmower/tool storage area. Oh, and next to the house is the original wall and garden that was not removed by the construction.
{{gwi:260978}}

Aug 2014. Path is made of 24" by 24" pavers. The rain barrel is sweet because there is no spigot nearby, so now I can water easily.
{{gwi:260979}}

For the first time in 3 years you can walk easily from front yard to back!
{{gwi:260980}}

The whole shebang.
{{gwi:260981}}

The whole shebang from the front, with the rest of the remodel visible. Seriously, I cannot believe I built this!
{{gwi:260982}}

That's the end of the tour. Thanks for looking!

Comments (37)