SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmy23

Two Three way switches in a single box

tmy23
15 years ago

Ok, I know there is a current thread going that is somewhat like this but not exactly. Sorry to drive you pro's crazy.

I am trying to run 2 3-way stitches and a ceiling fan from a triple gang box. I have brought hot up from the basement into the bottom of the box and so am powering the circuit from one of the switches, not the fixture.

I followed a wiring diagram I found on the "net so I have hot and black to the same side of the first switch and red to the other side. At the remote switch I have red at the single screw and black and white (with black tape on it) on the other two screws.

At the ceiling fixture, I have red to red, white from the hot side to white of the fixture and black from the hot switch to the black/white of the remote switch. All works as planned. So what's the question right?

Well I also prewired the 2nd 3-way in the first box. Using a second run of 3-12 I ran red to the single screw, black from the 3-12 to the other side of the switch and pigtailed the common hot (black) to the second screw. There is nothing else hooked up to the switch, I just wanted to get it all wired and tucked into the box, the wire is stapled to some beams and taped off. When I flip this other prewired switch, my breaker pops.

I suspect it's something with how I either handled the common hot or neutral. Because I am trying to power three switches in the same box, I connected 3 black pigtails to the hot black and I pigtailed the neutral white to the whites from the various circuits? This is what I would have done with two single pole switches in a single box, ran pigtails from the hot to each switch. Something though is wrong it seems doing that with 2 3-ways.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!!!

Tom

Comments (7)