SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

3-way switches...what does this voltage reading mean?

kudzu9
15 years ago

I have a pair of recessed halogen lights in the bedroom ceiling of my relatively new house (2001). They're controlled by a pair of 3-way switches on opposite sides of the room. Never had any problems with them. Lately, however, these two lights would go out after being on for 10-30 minutes. If you got up and flipped the switches on-and-off they would come back on. Last night my wife just touched one of the switches, without flipping it, and the lights came back on. I figured there was a loose connection or switch problem, so I opened up both switch boxes. The switches are standard Lutron switches, and all the connections were back-stabbed, rather than being attached to the side terminal screws, so I decided to disconnect the wires and reconnect them properly.

However, before I reattached the switches, I got out my multimeter, switched the breaker back on, and checked voltages. In the box where the power comes in, the voltage between the ground wire and the source wire was normal (about 110 V), but I also got a reading of about 25 VAC on each of the two traveler wires. When I switched the breaker back off, I got O V on all wires.

Bottom line...what do you think is going on here? Thanks.

Comments (13)