SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcassel_gw

Low voltage MR16 VS line voltage PAR20 or 16, for recessed light

mcassel
17 years ago

I am building a house and am starting to look at my lighting plan. I want to use a lot of recessed lights and also want to use the in-ceiling, airtight cans for two reasons to reduce heat and sound transmissions. For my recessed lights I will be using a mixture of 5" incandescents for general lighting but I also want to have some task lighting over the kitchen and art lighting on the walls, for this task I am looking at halogen bulbs.

I first looked at low voltage MR16s, I can not do line voltage MR16s with an airtight in-ceiling can. I recently learned about PAR 20 and 16's which are halogen bulbs but can work in a IC-airtight can. From what I have read there does not seem to be a down side to doing line-V PARs over low-V MR16s... Both are halogen bulbs so the same light quality but line-v is cheaper to buy (housing) and cheaper to install both for the electrician and dimmer.

Could someone give me a pro-con of each, line-V PAR20s or 16s over low-V MR16s? Cause I must be missing something.

thanks

Comments (13)