SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
felin_gw

What does 'going to seed' mean exactly?

felin
12 years ago

Hi,

I know that alot of you are thinkin, Wow, really? This person doesn't know what this means?

I don't....well at least not fully.

I know that when any of my vegetables get little flowers at the top, it means they are going to seed.

3 of my 6 Swiss Chard plants have done this and my very newly planted basil is already starting to do this. I just read that if basil does this, the taste changes to something that is not as good and that it's production will slow way down.

Are we just not harvesting often enough? Not wanting to waste it, however, if I need to, should I just harvest anyhow? Guess I can share with neighbors more often, etc...

Also, how should we cut the basil off of the plant? How far down, etc.??

We are very very new to gardening, but are thrilled with the outcome thus far. We have done really well, but once the plants are growing and then producing, we don't really know what to do with them other than the harvesting. In other words, we don't know when or if we should fertilize, etc etc. Don't want to mess up the beautiful stuff we have going. We do have a vegetable gardening book, but it doesn't tell us everything.

Anyhoo, we're excited and overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance for ANY feedback that you would like to offer us.

Blessings,

Felin

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus