SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jefsboys

Refinish varnished floor

jefsboys
13 years ago

Hello,

I have a post in the Old House forum and it was recommended that I bring it here or flooring. I hope this is ok to pick this post up in this forum. If not please let me know.

I have a home built in 1904. I recently spoke with the previous owner and they stated that they the carpet I recently removed from the hardwood floors was put there in about 1970. To the best they can remember the floor was varnished, which agrees with the reading I have done.

The flooring planks are about 2 1/2" wide by 3/8" thick. I don't want to rent a big sander to go over these floors as that will take too much off. I want to keep the older appearance as these floors have been lightly hand sanded to remove the stains of the old carpet padding.

Here I am with an old varnished floor that has any and all surface treatements removed from the floor. I need to recoat the floors.

I have several pics located on this at the Old House forum.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/oldhouse/msg0123194920152.html?2981

What are my options at this point for refinishing this floor? I don't want to do a big sanding as the floor is too thin. I would like to either varnish or Shellac.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Comments (11)