SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plaidthumb

15 amp GFCI with 1/2 horse garbage disposal

plaidthumb
15 years ago

I replaced our garbage disposal after 15 years. It just wasn't grinding like it should. After I removed the old one and pulled the new one out of the box, I realized the new one had a plug, whereas the old one was hard-wired.

No biggie. I've done basic household wiring in the past with no problem. Add a surface-mount box, take the flex conduit to it, put in a GFCI receptacle (since it was under a sink, I thought it was logical). No problem.

After about a year, the GFCI tripped last weekend, and I could not get it reset. Disposal continued to work fine via a short extension cord to another outlet. I finally got down under the sink (a corner unit--royal PITA to reach anything) and replaced the outlet with another GFCI rated at 15 amps. I checked it with a little checker you plug in and different LEDs light up showing bad grounds, miswired situations and what-not. It said all was good. I did the test/reset a couple of times, and everything was fine.

Got the disposal remounted (had to take it out to get to eh plugin) plugged it in, flipped the switch--nuthin'. The little light on the GFCI was out, showing that it had tripped. I cannot get it to reset. I've checked the breaker at the box, and nothing has been tripped. All other receptacles/circuits continue to work.

So, what the hey is going on? The only thing I haven't checked is the switch--just a normal wall-mounted light switch. If it were bad, would it cause this problem? Causing a short that is not allowing me to reset the GFCI?

I'm open for suggestions. I'll pick up another switch next time I go by the hardware store, but no since spending money if I don't need to.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments (11)