SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onmiown3

certain outlets/lights not working?

onmiown3
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose an issue that our home had tonight.I'm not sure if we need to have an electrician out.

Our house was built in 1978. On the upper level we have a 4 bedrooms and 2 full baths.

From looking at the labels on the box, I know that the master bedroom and bedroom 1 share a breaker, and bedrooms 2 and 3 each have their own. Neither bath is labeled and it looks like all breakers are accounted for so I think some others are shared. From doing a previous remodel job on the townhouse we used to own in the same area (also 1978 construction), I would not be surprised if the master bath shared the same breaker with the master bedroom and bed 1. Apparently code in 1978 did not require the bathrooms to be broken out on their own.

Here's what happened, Bedrooms 2 and 3 had nothing electric turned out. Bed 1 is a home office and has a lot of electronics (two computers, printer, cordless phone, wireless modem). These were turned on because I was putting in OT.

My cleaning lady was in the master with the ceiling fixture turned on, both vanity strips turned on in the bathroom and running a vacuum (cleaning both the hallway and the master bedroom carpets).

I went downstairs for a few minutes and when I came back up, half of bedroom 1 and the master were without power.

In bedroom 1, three of four wall outlets were not drawing power and the overhead light fixture would not come on.

In the master, 2 of 4 wall outlets were not working and the overhead light fixture did not come on. The bathroom lights were on and fine.

The breaker for Master bed/ bedroom 1 did not trip. Everything in the box looked in order. About 20 minutes later, when my cleaning lady turned off the vacuum and the lights in the master bath, I was able to draw power again for the lights/outlets that had stopped working in both bedrooms.

What are possible causes of this?

Thanks,

K

Comments (3)