SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zehentner

3-Way Switches Suddenly Not Working Correctly

15 years ago

In my 15-year old home, two, 3-way switches in our kitchen suddenly began behaving strangely. The switches control the overhead florescent lights over the island in our kitchen. They are on a circuit controlled by a switch breaker. The circuit also includes the lights to a nearby bedroom and pantry.

My initial thought was that one of the switches had gone bad. One was relatively new from a kitchen remodeling a couple years back. The other was original, 15 years old. Both switches were replaced. My local Home Depot electrical dept. guy was sure that replacing the switches would solve the problem. It did not. The behavior remained the same.

Since this is a problem that occurred spontaneously after years of working correctly, I have to speculate that the problem is not the switches (just replaced) nor the wiring of the switches (as nothing had changed when the weird behavior started happening.) Help!!

Here's the wiring connections and behavior description.

Switch 1: (3 wires)

- Black Wire connected to Black Terminal

- Red Wire connected to Upper Left Brass Terminal (when viewed from front of switch)

- Black Wire connected to Upper Right Brass Terminal

Switch 2: (5 Wires)

- 3 Black Wires connected to Common Black Terminal (2 of these wires are really one wire with the insulation stripped with that wire going to the next switch in a 3-switch box)

- Red Wire connected to the Upper Left Brass Terminal

- Black Wire connected to Upper Right Brass Terminal

When Switch 2 is in the Up position, Switch 1 works correctly, Up = Lights On, Down = Lights Off.

When Switch 2 is in the Down position, the lights stay on regardless of the position of Switch 1.

Here's a little matrix that describes the behavior...

Switch 1 Position Switch 2 Position Lights

Up Up On

Down Up Off

Up Down On

Down Down On

Help! I've never seen anything like this before. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Comments (6)