SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanneh311

New 3 way switch doesn’t work

Joanne
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I just replaced an old 3 way switch with a new Lutron rocker switch. I wired it exactly the way the old one was wired, same wire to the copper-colored screw, other two wires to the approximate locations where they were on the old switch, the only difference being that the screw opposite the copper colored screw was near the bottom of the switch instead of near the top. The ground screw was near the top. I also added a grounding pigtail as the old switch did not have a ground, screwing it to the box.

The red wire happens to be off the top screw in the photo but that’s where it was when it was wired. The lights didn’t work at all in this configuration, from either switch. I then swapped out the red and white wires, and the lights work from the other switch, but not from this one. Is it possible the black wire is in the wrong place from the start? Who knows what they might have done with the original wiring job. The lights are LED and the switch listed as compatible with LED bulbs.

I’m also having trouble with the 4-way switch right next to it that I just replaced but that’s another post. Any help appreciated.

Comment (1)