SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pebbles396

New home inspection - major electrical problems

pebbles396
17 years ago

Hello everyone - I've not been on elec forum, and couldn't find a similar question so hopefully this is ok.

I just had an inspection on a home that was built in 1926 and the electric is a mess. The house only has 100 amp service and 5 of the breakers are double tapped. We were originally planning on pulling all of the old BX/Romex and adding cans to several rooms as part of the remodel.

I see 200amp service on many RE listings and the inspector cautioned us that 150 would likely be sufficient.

All in all we had a quote of pulling all wire at 3k, and are told that approx 3500 will be the cost of dropping a 200amp line.

What would be the cost savings between 200amp to 150amp service - seems like we should just do it once - or is this just totally unnecesary.

I don't forsee any additional electric required from an amp point of view - we would only be adding some cans, no major systems/hvac or other items that would be a big draw. No additions to the home are possible due to the lot size so that's not even a consideration. So maybe just do 150? Not sure how to decide and want to be informed before I start interviewing electricians regarding this.

This is in Chicago if that makes any difference from pricing advice standpoint.

I was thinking that 8500 is going to be the ultimate budget for this endevour.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)