SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithn_gw

Kitchen Electrical Failed Inspection...and then some.

judithn
16 years ago

I'm usually over in the Kitchen Forum, but came over here to see what you guys in Wiring think of this situation. My kitchen was renovated. The contractor has dragged his feet and the project is almost, but not totally done. The contractor estimated it would be done March '07 and has pretty much abandoned the project. I owe him a little more money, like 4k.

I called the local inspectors -- I want to figure out what I need to do to finish. I figured that 4k would go towards doing what the contractor left undone. By the way, there's more than electrical left to do -- so that 4k needs to go a looooong way.

The inspector came. He poked around a little. He said The kitchen failed the electrical inspection. He said I I needed some more GFIs and said the wiring in the basement was sloppy. The electrician left things hanging from the joists, some of those little blue boxes were just tucked on top of heating ducts too. He wanted that all neatened up. I thought, 'okay, I'll get that taken care of.' It didn't sound that bad. I figured it was okay.

I called a new electrician -- not the one who did these incorrect things the first time. I figured he'd give an estimate for the cost of correcting the GFI's and loose wires. No big deal. WELL, The new electrician really looked the place over. Seemed he spent more time here than the inspector! He came up with a list of violations A LOT longer than what the inspector said.

I've got low-voltage wiring in the walls for my high voltage undercabinet lights. A total no no. Plus some wires there that aren't approved for in wall use. Apparently, the wires for the sink disposals are supposed to not be direct wired, but there's supposed to be a plug that you can unplug should someone need to work on the disposal. He said the wires sagging from the joists should have gone through holes drilled into the joists. And the wiring in my basement should have been a yellow covered wire, not the thin white ones. Also, there were some exposed uninsulated wires in a cabinet!

The electrician suggested having an independent inspection company -- not the first inspector guy -- to come back and look it over. He said it looked like a lawsuit.

Now, I'm not sure why the first inspector didn't pick this stuff up. Also, there WAS a rough electrical inspection in February, so why were these violations allowed to get this far (now the walls are closed and it's alot more work!).

What do you guys think I should do now? I've got another electrician coming to give his opinion. I'd like to see if there's agreement between the electricians. Then, if the second electrician agrees with the first one, I'm thinking of calling the first inspector (who has already been paid) and asking him to come out and look a little more closely.

I am very upset, this was a very expensive home improvement project. I am also concerned for my family's safety. I am very glad I got the permits, though some people say they're unnecessary, at least the inspectors can hold the contractors accountable. I have a feeling we'll end up in court. Sigh.

BUT, what do you think I should do? Should I call the first inspector? Wasn't he supposed to have seen these things at the rough inspection? Who is now accountable for the cost of setting things right? Is it my contractor, me, the inspector who said it was all okay? He shouldn't have approved this work at all, right? Should I hire a second inspector? It's all coming out of my pocket ON TOP of what I've already paid these clowns.

Any advice?

Comments (14)