SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

CO inspections...and other issues/questions

cindywhitall
9 years ago

Son is buying a 1951 home. Inspector noticed the top step (riser) is shorter than the other steps. He said the housing inspector might deny the CO based on this. These appear to be the original steps due to the hardwood under the OLD carpet. This house was last sold in 2006, the carpet is older than that.

What is the likelihood that a CO is denied based on the steps? Would they possibly be "grandfathered"? It seems like a waste of good hardwood and $ to replace them. $ that Son doesn't have.

Also would these electrical conditions be a problem with the CO and how much might it cost to fix? They don't seem like complicated repairs, more of a nuisance that has to be fixed. "One or more breakers in the electrical service panel were found to be double lugged. This condition where two circuits are on the same breaker may lead to overloading both circuits. This is a potentially dangerous situation, that needs immediate repair by a licensed electrician."

"In the basement, the outlet installed for the sump pump is not ground fault protected as required. Since this is a life / safety issue, I recommend immediate correction by a licensed electrician for safe use."

It needs termite treatment, but no termite damage needs repair. There is evidence they were there at some point, but its winter so ...could they be gone?

I wish he would back out, but the price for 3br/2ba with basement and yard is good. He also just got bad news that he has to drive much farther (42 miles vs 5 miles) to work now, because he and his gf can't work in the same region of his company. Its not been a good week for him and he isn't listening to me tell him to start his search over (he likes the house and has spent $ on the inspection etc. He is only 24)

Comments (8)