SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firemanswife_gw

Question about a co-workers step grandson

firemanswife
16 years ago

A coworker of mine just her stepson move back in with her and her DH and he brought his 4 year old son along. The mother of this little guy has given up all of her rights, he doesn't know his ABC's, numbers or colors. From what I understand this little guy was put in front of a tv and forgotten about. He doesn't know how to play outside or play with other kids. They are having a hard time even getting him to carry on a conversation.

The mother told everyone that he has all these food allergies and they have to be careful. Which they found out later he doesn't she just didn't want to take the time to care for him. He's lived on mac and cheese and lunchables.

My heart just breaks for this little one. To make matters worse my coworker has NO patients for him. They get made when he wonÂt eat his dinner, he isn't used to all these new foods, this new house, people he doesn't really know plus his mom who has raised him doesn't want him anymore.

Last night they fixed tacos for dinner and he picked at them. He has never had them before so instead of being patient they took it away from him, wrapped it and put in the refrigerator for him to have for breakfast. I was just floored when she told me this.

It took him 2 1/2 hours last Saturday to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and the entire time they were all yelling at him to hurry up.

I know he is going to have problems adapting but it just doesn't seem like he is even being given a chance.

I made a little goodie bag for her to give to him after he moved in with them. Coloring books, crayons, little trucks, bubbles etc. because they don't have things like this for him and boy he was so excited to have toys. My coworker is going out of town this weekend and she's going to get him toys and books so he will have more things.

Is it just me and am being too sensitive or do you think this little guy needs more time and help adjusting?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County