SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjwkr2000

Subfloor Inspection? New home - Help please!

mjwkr2000
9 years ago

Can anyone recommend who to hire to do a subfloor inspection? I am having a number of floor related problems that all seem to be stemming from the subfloor. It started with very noisy hardwood and now has extended into ridges in the carpet from subfloor ends 'popping' up and a ton of bounce/flex and noise throughout the home.

This is a new home (moved in 11 months ago). My builder is not willing to address any of these so it will likely become a legal matter. I am trying to get documented reports of the issues. The builder did agree and did replace a portion of our hardwood floors but the issue persists in areas that were not replaced. We have site finished white oak floors. When they pulled the hardwoods off (maybe 4-500 sq ft of 1200 total) the floor was 3/4" off the subfloor - floating. He is blaming the on too much humidity in the house. I did hire a hardwood floor inspector but given that the issue has now expanded to the subfloor and is under carpeted areas he has asked that I contact a structual engineer or inspector.

I am at a loss here. I need some help.

Comments (15)