SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bri29_gw

Exterior paint help please?

bri29
15 years ago

I'm visiting from the cooking forum. I've been reading through some of the older threads about exterior paint color and I'm amazed at how helpful and knowledgeable everyone in this forum is. I admit that I am something of an idiot when it comes to choosing a color, so the help of experts is certainly welcome.

My dh helped me with photoshopping the color of the house, but I don't know how to tie a color on the computer back to a paint swatch. Any tips or tricks?

I'm scared to just choose a color and paint the house without actually seeing it, but I don't want to buy a dozen quarts of paint to find one I like. Help? Here's a photoshop of the kind of color I'm considering. It's not decided or anything, but this is the first color that caught my eye. Opinions and suggestions are always welcome.

{{!gwi}}

TIA!

Bri

Comments (14)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I'd paint the garage door also, for less contrast : )

Pretty color. Try printing it out as a photo, and if you still like the color, compare it to swatches.

Decorpas showed us how to save a pixel color, too, for a paint match, though I can't remember how it was done. Maybe a search would turn something up.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Better homes and gardens site has a "color a home" page where you can do it yourself and view your home with any combination of colors. Here's a link to it.

http://www.bhg.com/app/colorahome/member/index.jsp

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Well, I know this is the same response I always give, but I love a soft sage with cream/ivory trim, and a red door (Bm"Cottage Red"). The color in the pic you posted seems a little too blue-green to me, but color is a very personal thing.

Have you looked at any "historical" color line--from either Benjamin Moore or California Paints? In my opinion, historical colors are more interesting, since they're a bit more "complicated" and thus seem to have more depth. Difficult to explain. . . .

Don't forget: you can buy the small paint samples and don't need to buy quarts. Alternatively, you can buy large, already painted sample sheets of some colors--for example, the colors in the Ben Moore "Aura" line. I've found those are MUCH better representations of color than using the color samples and making my own.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I am not following your question. Are you saying that the greenish color that is on your picture is the actual color of your home and you would like a new color or is that just a photoshopping of what you would like painted .

Either way I agree with Squirle that you need to paint out the garagae doors to lessen the contrast.

• Michael
    15 years ago

Roof color is also important. If that's the roof you're keeping, it must be considered as part of the color scheme.

The landscape hides your house. You may need to invest in some lower shrubs of low maintenance mixed with perennials.

I wouldn't frame the house in white. Either one color for the body, soffit and facia trim, or at least a lighter tone for those trims. White window and door trim is acceptable.

If your house were longer, the garage door in a toned down white would be fine. But, since the garage door is 1/4 the house front, I'd paint it the same color as the body or as the facia, soffit trim.

I painted this house on Monday. The roof is Desert Tan and the house was originally dark blue with a white garage door. Shudder. It was a big blue box trimmed in white. Now it's Desert Tan roof with Cafe Cream body to match the new entry door. We surrounded the door with a forest green storm door and installed forest green shutters.

We did paint the garage door the same as the body, but we separated it from the house with white trim.

Michael

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Your green does have some blue in it. The swatch I took from the house is from the area to the lower left of the garage, where the sun is. Look in the vicinity of this Grenada Villa (linked). The online colors are always distorted, so just look somewhere around that color strip, irl. Paint goes up lighter and more intense, and you may even need something that falls in between two of the swatch colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Color Strips

• bri29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. The more I look at that picture the more it bugs me (as you said, it's too blue green). I played with the bhg site and found a couple sage colors that I think will work. Now all I have to do is figure out how to take a color I like on the website or from photoshop and cross reference it into a real paint color. I'll try the paint mfg's websites again and see if I find something now that I have a better idea what I want.

I agree that the roof is a key consideration. The roof was just replaced with a silvery grey comp. I've attached a picture of it as it stands today. When I was doing the editing, I didn't have a new picture and it was too dark to get one so I used an old picture.

Apologies for the ugly lawn and landscaping, my dh and I just finished getting our master's degrees, so the house is a little worse for wear after two years of minimal attention.

{{gwi:1470554}}

I'll give some serious consideration to repainting the garage doors. Thanks again.

Bri

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Also check out strips in the vicinity of the 450's.

The historic colors are generally more subdued. That can be good, as often what we pick ends up being more than expected.

• bri29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your help squirrelheaven! I'm pretty bad at matching colors online, so I appreciate your expert eye. I'll take another look at the BM site and at the historic colors specifically.

I tried to post this earlier, but since I was the last poster the forum wouldn't let me.

Thanks again,
    Bri

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

You're welcome : ) I like the green with some blue in it. Maybe warm it up a tad from the Grenada Villa, but it's a beautiful color choice, imo.

When you want to put multiple posts through, in a short period of time, just change the subject line a little. I always just add another letter to the beginning. Otherwise it treats it as a duplicate post and kicks it out.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I was just going to post to you about the roof, and now I see you have another picture and state the roof has just been replaced. I like your roof that you have in the last picture. I think you will be AMAZED if you take out all the old shrubbery and put in baby shrubs and watch them mature. There is nothing like removing old tired landscaping when it comes to curb appeal. A little digging and a little painting, and it looks all new and fresh all over again but you have to do both.

• bri29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've slowly been clearing out the existing landscaping, my big problem now is figuring out what to put back. It's probably just a matter of choosing something, but I guess I'm just as indecisive about landscaping as I am about paint. Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Bri

• Michael
    15 years ago

bri,

I didn't mean to pick on your landscape. Of course your education is much more important at this time. My daughter continues to earn more degrees while I do her home improvement. :)

With that said, MSN offers many free landscape designs for a house like yours. Landscape can be done a section at a time and keep building on it.

I'm sure the house will look great when done!

Michael

• bri29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No worries Michael. I know it looks bad. :)

We graduated about a month ago and in that time we've torn off the back patio cover and gutters, replaced all the fascia, added sun tunnels in the kitchen, reroofed and put up a new patio cover. Next up: paint, gutters and sprinklers. It's definitely a work in progress and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome. Thanks again!

Bri