SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sieryn

dealing with stepson problems

sieryn
16 years ago

I've been married to my husband for almost three years, we have two soon to be three children together and have full custody of his two sons from his first wife. My six year old step son is an angel, helps around the house, nice to his sibilings, good manners, treats me like and considers me, his Mommy no question. My ten year old stepson...is nothing short of an episode of Nanny 911. I hate to say I'm starting to look forward to everytime he visits his bio mom...

We had joint custody up until about a year ago when she called DHS on me (yes me in a wonderful drunken fit) of course, they found it completely unfounded and ended up inacting a child-in-need-of-assistance on her after speaking to the boys. They came from a house with no rules, no manners, etc. to our house. My SH's behavior can go from semi calm to completely unmanageable in 20 seconds if he does not get his absolute way. He cries and screams at the drop of a hat if we ask him to do anything he doesn't want to (psych says this is manipulative behavior since its completely fake and make up anything to justify it), he never asks before he takes, tells his six year old brother he hates him, he ruins his life, he wishes we'd move him out etc. because he's never in trouble. Even went so far last year as to try and jump out of the van when I drove him to school because he wanted his Dad to take him not me, wads up his tests his teacher gives him to take and throws them away, refuses to do any homework ('looses' it all) even went as far as to go sit in the bathroom all day at school and refuse to come out, physically fighting with me, pretending I've hurt him when we're out in public, running away from me it goes on and on.

Now, my husband acknowledges he has problems, but blames half of these things on ME. He says I'm 'too hard' on him. (The only responsiblities he has at almost 11 years old is to put away his folded laundry,which he has a tendency to throw on the floor, and do his homework). Its just causing so many problems in our marriage, my SH will mouth off to me and my husband will tell me to leave him alone validating his behavior. He says my SH is 'damaged' from his mothers actions and should be given some slack when he behaves liks a three year old and I don't know how to talk to him. He says I look for faults in him and I'm constantly on edge when he's around, that I can't hold him accountable for anything that happened yesterday or the day before because he's a kid. Then me and my husband end up fighting constantly over him. I admit I do loose my temper when he behaves this way, simply because I view it as ridiculous. He knows he's doing it for Daddy's attention and he always gets it when he behaves this way.

I think his actions should have punishments, and he should learn responsibility and accountability. My other stepson and our two boys behave wonderfully...Am I being too strict on him? Or do I need to take his behavior with a grain of salt?

Comments (4)