SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard904

Meter based surge protection; HVAC not covered!

richard904
14 years ago

I have 400 amp service to my house split into 2 200 amp boxes. I want to get meter based surge protection from Kansas City Power & Light (KCP&L). One box covers our air conditioner/heat pump, 2 electric water heaters, and an ejector pump. The other covers everything else in the house. KCP&L says they will give me surge protection on the "everything else" box, but not on the "heat" box. My bill is always split out that I can see the "heat energy charge." This house was built in 1994. My electrician says if it were done now, there would just be one 400 amp box, so all my equipment would be covered by one surge protector. However, the "terms and conditions" would not cover HVAC equipment. I cannot figure out the rationale for not putting surge protection on the "heat" box so the equipment is protected even though their warranty would not cover it if damage occured. Wouldn't a surge potentially cause damage to the HVAC equipment? I thought newer HVAC equipment had a lot of sensitive electronics.

Comments (14)