SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Totally Confused About Window Replacement - Help!

Laurie
14 years ago

I am about to close on a 1915 (at least) Craftsman style home (actually an American Foursquare, in that style).

All the windows need replacement, as do the exterior doors. 21 windows in total. Sills are rotted and deteriorated on most of them, glass broken in some, truly they are a mess and can not be saved according to my Architect and Contractor. Both have recommended replacement as the house is not historically significant, although lovely.

I don't think I can afford wood, so vinyl or fiberglass is the option. I'm contemplating Anderson, Pella, Jeld-Wyn or Marvin as the only 3 options.

Looking at these 4 (for windows only - I like Jeld-Wyn for doors), Marvin seems to stand out. I've worked in the architectural field myself (my Architect in fact is my old boss) for over 25 years and have read enough specs through the years to sort of understand things but I'm just really baffled on this window thing for some reason. I guess, Marvin seems to have the best selection of colors, options, etc. and I believe, their guarantee is lifetime as opposed to the others having lesser ones. Plus, I think they were the only ones offering wood on the inside, which was nice too.

Quality-wise? Not sure if any are that much better than others.

Any inside advice you can give me would be helpful. My contractor will be coming out around May 10th to measure the windows and I need to have a manufacturer picked out by then. I do know all of those companies are ones that he has used before, so he feels same as I do - any would be fine and in the end it's what I can afford which will dictate what I wind up with - but truthfully if something is THAT much better than the others I am willing to pony up the extra money to make sure I get the best quality possible. I don't want to have to worry about replacing a replacement, you know?

Comments (9)