SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davetz

extreme confusion about transom window configuration. HELP!

14 years ago

Hi,

I am planning on having my carpenter install an exterior fullview glass door with a rectangular transom window (non-operable) above it for my upcoming kitchen remodel. I have run into considerable debate and confusion (on my part) as to how to accomplish this and I am on the verge of trying to construct the transom window myself.

Here's the deal: the door's unit dimension (exterior frame size) is 32 5/8" wide. So it stands to reason that if I were to also purchase a window 32 5/8" wide, it's frame would line up with that of the door (if we took the brickmold off the door, for example) and the transom could be installed above the door with a continuous piece of casing up the left and right sides of the whole assembly to give it a unified look--both on the interior and exterior.

However, several vendors have told me this won't work, the two won't line up right inside and out. IS THIS TRUE??? If not, can I just order a 32 5/8" wide window and be done? If not, does anyone have a primer or DIY side on how to build a basic window? I do have some decent shop tools and woodworking experience. Please advise, I am at WIT'S END as my remodel start date soon approaches!!

THANKS!,

dave tz

Comments (3)