SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
btbarbara

Confused about basil

btbarbara
12 years ago

I know it's late but I decided to give basil a try this year. I got two Better Homes and Gardens "Italian large-leaf basil" plants for a dollar so I figured I had nothing to lose. Each "plant" actually looks like a bunch of little stalks which I didn't really think much about until I saw a thread on here where someone posted a similar pic and someone said she had too many plants in one container. Was I somehow supposed to separate these individual little stalks? How in the world? That rootball was TIGHT. There's no way these were coming apart.

Here's "one" plant:

and the other:

Also, I've read that you should let the soil go completely dry (not to the point of wilting) between waterings and that the basil will do better if it's a little stressed. I've also read that you should water it regularly and keep it consistently moist but not wet. Am I missing something?

Also, I've read that basil likes heat and won't do well inside if you keep your AC below 75 and that the plants can get big and bushy. But everyone of those "windowsill" herb garden kits I've ever seen includes basil and those are intended to be grown inside in tiny pots.

So I'm just thoroughly confused. Can anyone help?

Comments (24)