SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owl_at_home

Two questions about transoms

owl_at_home
16 years ago

We are getting ready for sheetrock and need to make decisions about the transoms over our windows and doorways. We are building a "new old house" and want an old-fashioned look, and I love the transoms over doors and windows in old houses.

Here are my questions:

1. We want to have them over the front door and two sets of windows on the front of the house. The door is 3' wide, 6'8" height, and the windows are 5' wide by 6' high. Ceilings are 10'. Is there a "right" size for the transoms to be in relation to the height of the doors and windows? I am thinking of getting an antique stained glass window I saw as a transom over the front door. It is 18 inches high including its frame. Maybe it would be best to get it and then make the ones over the windows the same height? All you will see out of the transoms is the underside of the porch roof.

2. I also wanted transoms over three interior doorways where there is not an actual door, just an opening. My carpenter said he could frame an opening there, but there wouldn't be any point in putting glass in it. He's right, of course, since they aren't going to be actual operable transoms, but I think it would look really stupid to make openings over the doors WITHOUT glass in them. My question is, does anyone have stationary glass windows over interior doors? I thought I had seen that before, but now I'm confused. If you have pictures I could show him, that would be great.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Owl's progress blog (pictures)

Comments (15)