SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfeehley1

Two questions about designing our peninsula

Sheila F
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Just met with our kitchen designer and cabinet maker. We have two decisions that we need to make. Our peninsula will be 5' by 9 ' and open to the living area.

1. The big debate over sink or cooktop on the peninsula. I was against the stovetop because I didn't want a hood hanging down in the middle. He then showed me some examples of the "hood" placed in the ceiling. He said that these work well and that quite a few people are going this route. I've read tons of comments on here, but would love some advice from those who have it either way. How does it work for you and would you keep it or change if you were to redo your kitchen?

2. Met with the builder and he is pushing the step up counter because of outlets needed every 4 feet (I think that was the distance) to meet code. I really want a flat countertop because I think it looks better and is more functional. The cabinet maker is going to notch a drawer so that we can put one at the end of our peninsula, we can put one on the wall at the end of the counter, but we will still need another. I see all these beautiful islands/peninsulas where I don't see outlets on the countertop. Is our only choice to put an outlet/receptacle on the peninsula?

Thank you for your advice!

Comments (14)