SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m2mom_gw

Have question about materials/finishes with our reno

m2mom
15 years ago

Hi all,

DH and I are in the planning stages of a house reno which will include: combining an existing family room/kitchen into one area (this would involve knocking down part of what used to be en exterior wall, since the family room was part of a two-story addition); relocating downstairs powder room; adding master bath upstairs; renovating one of existing bathrooms upstairs.

We are on a strict budget hovering around $150 and are trying to get a firmer handle on costs. We are interviewing both architects who would create just the designs, as well as design/build firms. No matter which of the routes we choose, it has become clearer to us that we would need to have a very good (if not exact) idea of exactly what finishes we would like.

I am planning to shop around now for: cabinetry, flooring, bathtubs, sinks, faucets, and windows. More than one contractor we've spoken to has sworn up and down that the quality of certain items (ex. Pella windows, Kohler fixtures) that a regular Joe can buy from Home Depot/Lowes doesn't match the quality that a GC would be able to get from a supply warehouse where you have to be a GC to shop. I am wondering if this is true or not so that I can compare apples to apples. I could always troll the internet for deals on materials, but I like to use the big box stores as a starting point.

Also, what do you guys think about having some sort of contract where we only have to worry about labor, and handling all of the materials ourselves? That way there will be no problems with change orders of materials, allowances, etc. that I keep hearing about on this board and elsewhere.

TIA

Comments (4)