SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msupdike

Specific questions about our architect's preliminary designs

Mike Scott
6 years ago

Hi,

I have been following these forums for 6 months or so and have asked questions under a different username. I made an anonymous username for this so that all commenters would feel free to give their unvarnished opinions.

We almost bought a home a few years ago that had a similar elevation. But the sale fell through. Now we have a chance to build our forever home on 75 acres where we will have a small livestock farm. The house will face due south. To the south are pastoral views. To the northwest through northeast are mountain views. Due west is forest and east is pasture.

We also have 2 kids. The preliminary drawings are only of the main floor because the upstairs will be greatly affect if the house needs to be wider, narrower, longer or shorter. Once we have settled on the main floor, then the other floors will be designed based on available space.

We had a few specific design needs.

1. Two working chimneys - one with a stove on the basement and one with a fireplace insert on the main floor.

2. Master bedroom on the main floor along with laundry.

3. Two functional mudrooms, one of which will be for dirty boots and coats coming off the farm attached to a full bath.

Here are some of our concerns with the floor plans.

1. The kitchen seems off and there will be few upper cabinets.

2. The path to the laundry will go through the kitchen

3. The powder room will be off the dining room/great room

4. The pull down stairs in the garage is in the middle

5. The door opening from the dirty mudroom to the kitchen is too close to the wall so we can not store anything behind there or have a coat rack there.

6. The dryer should be located on an exterior wall for easy venting. (can you vent into a garage?)

Please let me know of any additional concerns with this particular plan. I have tried to learn from the many threads I have read here.

Thank you

Comments (46)