SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Meeting with architect next week and question about siding

athensmomof3
14 years ago

We had thought about building a cedar shingle house with a stone foundation but are at the very infancy of our design project (architect hasn't even met with husband yet). I have been reading about the artisan hardiplank and it looks really good in pictures (haven't seen it in person).

I know true cedar shingles are not the most economical siding choice and I do have some concerns about maintenance. We want to use what we can from a pvc/cement siding standpoint on trim anyway as I have had it with replacing rotten windowsills and eaves. I suspect since this house will be tucked in the woods, it may be more of a problem there.

Has anyone used Artisan Hardiplank? How does it compare cost wise? How does it look in person? It reminds me of cedar siding with the thicker look and deep shade lines which I love. We have made no decisions about our exterior except we must have a stone mailbox and stone apron on our driveway. We do love the white clapboard farmhouse look, but the area we are building requires a more neutral palette since they want all houses to be "integrated with the natural environment".

Thanks!

Comments (14)