SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cgs011898

Question about architect blueprint pricing

PookieMama
7 years ago

Hi, first time posting here though I have read the GW forums off and on for years.

Anyway, my in-laws are building a home next to us. They signed a contract with a local architect to design the house for $3000. In the contract, it said that construction copies would cost an additional fee. My in-laws have never built before so they did not ask what that additional fee would be.

They have now completed the floorplan design and OKed the elevation drawings. They just received an email stating that the blueprints would cost $9700, which took them completely by surprise. Is this normal? They were never told there would be such a high fee for blueprints, which are necessary to actually get this house built! The design is a 2900 sqft ranch plus finished basement (1300 sqft).

Is that something that should have been disclosed at the beginning of the process? If they had known all this, they would have looked much harder for a stock plan to tweak! I am upset for them because they were not told upfront that the $3000 would not even get them one set of blueprints.

Comments (25)