SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Question about shower transom placement/design

uscpsycho
7 years ago

I have a question about a design choice I want to make in a new shower.

If a shower is completely enclosed (glass from floor to ceiling) with no fan in the shower, how effective will a transom be if it is not at the top of the shower, right below the ceiling? I plan for the top of the transom opening to be 8"-12" from the ceiling.

Steam rises so I wonder if much steam will escape through the transom or if it will go right past the transom to the ceiling where it will collect and fog up the shower?

And if my idea is workable, how do I determine the right size for the transom to allow enough steam out?

I know people on Houzz like to explore the reasons for making decisions and trying to find other options and such. I don't care if you think it is ugly or if you don't "get" why someone would do that. Please stick to the question - Is it possible to have an enclosed shower that won't fog up too badly if the transom is not at the top of the shower?

What I would be interested in is if there is another way to keep an enclosed shower steam-free other than a fan or a transom. I don't think so but maybe there is another method that I am not aware of.

Thanks!

Comments (9)