SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Need Help Configuring Steam/Spa Shower

drjoann
14 years ago

Haven't posted here in a while, but we broke ground the end of last month & now there are more decisions to be made.

We're building a new home with only a steam shower in the master bath, so we want it to "rock". The steam shower part has been spec'd out, but I need help with the other details.

This is the layout of the master bath (the row of windows over the vanity starts at 7 1/2" & are 3' tall):

The shower is 4'8 1/2" x 5'3". The shower door is 30"x80" frameless & intended for a steam shower.

The designer kept putting a bench in the shower & I kept saying that I needed more than 12" of depth for my posterior. I plan on relaxing in here while steaming & need more than a place for my foot when shaving my legs. The designer finally put in a corner seat. Does it look OK? I think it should be in the other corner to take better advantage of the windows. I like the sense of natural light when I am in the shower.

I plan on using something like the Moen ExactTemp vertical spa (see link). Thermostatic control is highly desired, as are body sprays. The hand shower is a must & I like the rainshower showerhead in that position rather than directly overhead. I like the cleaner looks of the Moen ioDIGITAL, but DH wants nothing to do with electronics in the shower control (& we're both electrical engineers - go figger).

Is there anything else that I would really want that I don't know about? Is the Moen product decent? Any others I should consider? Once that decision is made, do y'all have suggestions on where to put the various components?

Also, I told the tile folks that I think we want two niches since we use different shampoos, soaps, etc. Is there a better way to handle that? I always use one of those nylon scrubbies with liquid soap. Is there a good way to hang those up other than draping on faucet handles?

I know I have asked so many questions, but I would really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks - Jo Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Moen ExactTemp Vertical Spa

Comments (7)