SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j4ino

Confused about what windows to buy

j4ino
10 years ago

I purchased an old home (1940s) and I need to replace the original windows. First, I thought I wanted to replace them with wood windows as to not lose the "charm" of the house. Do you think vinyl windows will look less "charming" than wood windows? I also had the impression that wood windows would be better quality.

Second, I have a couple recommendations of people who install windows in my area. One man owns a company for many years and he recommends MI vinyl windows. His company is a one stop shop: sells windows and installs them. He also sells JeldWen, Anderson, and Marvin. I trusted him until I started reading the reviews of the MI windows. The reviews are horrible!! He told me they came with a lifetime warranty, but this doesn't sync up with what the MI website says: limited lifetime. Anyone have anything to say about MI? He has been in the window business for so long, he said he installed MI windows in his own home, why would he recommend them to me if they are bad?

Another man that came recommended to me only installs vinyl windows. He said vinyl is much better than wood and he can buy the windows at wholesale price from a local company. But this local company is so small, I can't find any reviews of their windows. When I asked him about Anderson windows, he said you pay a lot for the name and it is a poor quality window compared to vinyl.

I'm sooooo confused. Wood vs vinyl vs. fiberglass? who should install them? what window brand to choose?

I live in northern NJ. And i'd like to do this without breaking the bank too much. Although, I will be living in this home for a long time and I want to do it right.

Comments (18)