SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abundantblessings

WhoKnew: Confused about Window wood v alum questions

abundantblessings
15 years ago

"Posted by whoknew (My Page) on Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 15:01

I found the post by mcsbldr very interesting, particularly the reference to keeping old, wood windows. I am torn about replacing double-hung true-divided-light (single-paned, of course) windows with new windows, despite the fact that the ropes in most of my windows are torn and many of the windows are stuck (not painted) shut. I'm convinced the wood used 70 years ago was denser and the primers and paints more weather-resistant than those used today, and that even with the new technologies, new windows won't last as long as these have. But enough of sentimentality--the bottom line for me is that the windows were originally painted with lead paint, and this has made repainting an expensive and painstaking process and I need to do something about it.

"As far as choosing replacements, I've noticed--and my observations were independently seconded by a friend who is a contractor--that the paint products available today fare more poorly against the elements than those of a decade or more ago. I have had a lot of trouble with flaking paint and mildew growth on the wood muntins of the windows on the front of my house, which faces north; the last paint job on that side has lasted fewer than three years. In addition, I frequently notice water beading up on the interior of these windows. The condensate then subsides against the paint and disrupts the interior paint job as well.

Will this moisture problem affect double-pained windows? Would a wood-exterior window made of Douglas fir (such as that made by Loewen and Marvin) stand up to the elements better than pine? Or must I need to get aluminum cladding to deal with the exterior?"

Any advice?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths