SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christineny_gw

Need Expert Advice on Electric Box Replacement

christineny
16 years ago

I really need some advice. Our electric meter box located outside my home is completely rusted. We were told my electric company that it is dangerous and needs to be replaced. We called two electricians for estimates. Both agreed we needed it replaced, with estimates around $900.00.

Both electricans wanted to see our breaker box, which is located in our basement. We have a Federal Pacific Box. They both independently said that these boxes don't trip and need to come out. My home was built in 1975 and we have been in the house for 16 years. The electrican I felt most comfortable with said that he could replace the box for another $900.00. I asked him what he would put in and he said a SuperiorD box, which is the top of the market. I have no clue if that is a good replacement unit or not.

My husband called his brother, who has a PHD in electrician engineering and he said that the problems associated with the Federal Pacific Box is nothing but rumors and there was only one lawsuit against the company. He said for us not to change out the box.

My questions are would you change out the box? We are planning on not moving and staying in the house. Is $1,900 a fair amount for replacing it? Also is SuperiorD a good product? Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (6)