SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathy404593

expert needed HELP! Ghost?? causing weird electrical problem

cathy404593
17 years ago

EXPERT ELECRICIAN PLEASE HELP!!!!

I had an electrician with over 30 yrs experience come out and even he could not figure out the problem.

This house is 30 years old. I bought it 1 1/2 yrs ago.

I have a combination computer/laundry room, which apparantly is on the same electrical connection as the main sitting area.

The laundry area is really a converted closet which the previous owner had wired as to not have to go down to the garage to do laundry.

Sometimes, several times during the day and/or night, the power in just those rooms goes out.

The ONLY way to get it to come back on again is to turn start on my electric dryer, AND hit the start button. This triggers the computer,monitor, and tv (in sitting room) to immediatly come back on again. Then, I can turn the dryer off and the other devices stay on. Sometime for a few minutes, sometimes for a few days.

I told the electrician and he found all this humerous, and said it's just a coincidence.

Well I can tell you it's not. It has happened at least 70 times since I've moved in.

Sometimes it will go for months without happening, and then it starts to happen several times in a day, like today.

To make matters worse, last week my dryer stopped turning and smoke came out of it. The dryer and washer are only two years old!

I have no idea if this is related to the electrical problems but I suspect it is not. The power outages had not been occurring for a few weeks, when the dryer broke.

I have a dryer repairman coming out on Mon. to look at the dryer.

I have asked many people and no one knows the answer.

I have run an extention cord across the living room floor and into the hallway so that I can watch tv without interruption.

Do I need to just replace some fuses? What would solve my electrical problem?

I don't want to just call some electrian out of the phone book, since one already came out and did nothing to help.

Comments (12)