SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_sherry

Should I maintain ties to dysfunctional step family?

organic_sherry
17 years ago

Hello all. I am 39 years old and have been married for 15 years to a terrific husband, and we have two beautiful daughters. While my life now is happy and peaceful, my life when I was a teenager was a very different story; I come from a verbally/emotionally/physically abusive family that includes my father and his wife (my stepmother, although I don't usually refer to her as that), along with my two brothers and my sister. Both my dad and his wife were very abusive in their own unique ways when I was growing up. My stepmother is quite tiny (while myself and my siblings are quite tall), but, if anything, she was even more viciously abusive than my father. It was like being a step-parent brought out the utmost evil in her. I was a good kid, and got straight A's in school, so as soon as I graduated I left home, put myself through college and graduate school, and built my own happy life. I try my best not to mirror the nightmare of my own upbringing on how I bring up my girls. We have a happy, functional family.

What is odd is that while my father and his wife are not socially functional people, the rest of the people in our large extended family are terrific. I enjoy a great relationship with my aunts, uncles, and cousins, and I see them quite frequently. While many of them have told me that they suspected that my dad and his wife abused their kids, from talking to them I have come to realize that they have no clue how bad it really was. I really don't want to go into the details with them because it is just too painful.

Here is my problem:

My stepmother has apparently been complaining to my aunts and uncles that since I left home 20 years ago I just keep getting snootier and snootier and she says I pretend I am superior because I have an education. She claims that I keep my children from them because I am a snob. She has tried character assassination attempts before by calling my in-laws with all sorts of nasty stories about me(thankfully, they just politely cut her off). This is just the latest attempt. What is problematic is that it is starting to interfere with my relationship with my aunts and uncles (which is, I'm sure, exactly what my stepmother had planned). One of my aunts recently told me that I really need to take my kids to see their grandparents because it was unfair of me to stand in the way of them having a relationship with their grandparents, even if they aren't the nicest people in the world.

I am not a snob. It is true that for many years now I have lived 3000 miles from my father and his wife, but I try to keep them regularly updated on the events of our lives, and I regularly send pictures of our girls, but my dad and his wife don't seem to care...they are always too wrapped up in their own little world, and never call to ask how we are doing. When I call to ask how *they* are doing, my dad answers in grunts, and his wife usually goes off on a long litany of her physical complaints. Neither of them ever asks about how my girls are doing, or how me and my husband are doing. I try my best to get along with my father and his wife because I don't think family dysfunction is good for my girls to witness, but it is also true that I've never taken my girls on a trip to see my father and his wife and the very idea makes me really uncomfortable. I feel like it would unnecessarily endanger the welfare of my kids. Besides, if my dad and his wife really wanted to see my girls, they are welcome to come visit us (and we've told them so)...I feel like the danger to my children is much less if visitation happens on our own turf. They have made it clear that they are not interested in visiting us. In fact, in the 20 years since I've left home, they've never once visited me, and I can count on one hand the number of times they've called. My stepmother has made more calls to family members *about* me than she has ever made *to* me!

Unfortunately, this entire issue has come much more to the forefront over the past couple of years. My aunts and uncles keep encouraging me to take my kids to visit my parents. They think that it is nonsense for me to fear that my father and his wife would do anything to my kids.

Is it nonsense?

Comments (3)