SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_4

it's not just step families

mom_of_4
15 years ago

This isnt necessarily step family related but this is a good group of women with generally good advice

So, this past weekend Dh myself and the kids went to Disney World. This was our Christmas present from his dad. We went along with him Dh sister her gf and her gf niece. We did not really want to go on this trip because I was laid off not to long ago and finances really just arent in a place to go on an expensive trip. We said over and over again that we did not have the money to go on this trip. We were told over and over again not to worry about anything everything would be taken care of.

Now, to back track Dh's dad took his sister and her gf on a week long all expense (including spending money and everything else that could be thought of) trip two months ago... followed by buying DH's sister a 400.00 bike and then a brand new camera. DH's dad has quite a bit of money.

So, anyways we went on this trip and it was a miserable. It is hard to describe it. It was like we were second class unwanted guests on their vacation. The entire time that we were there we did what they wanted to do... not what the kids wanted to do... what the grown adults that have been there too many times to count wanted to do. This consisted of walking through gift shop after gift shop buying things for themselves all the while our kids are looking wide eyed wanting something for themselves but being told no. The niece was treated like a princess the entire time... bought all kinds of things and then the gf got nasty with the kids (my dd in particular) when they wanted to play with the toys too.

It was everything.. when we went to eat they got whatever they wanted we got what we were told. Everyone got hot chocolate... my kids shared and DH and I got nothing...same with snacks... same with everything. It was ridiculous. DH's dad rented a stroller bc the niece was getting to tired to walk. They rented a double stroller for a kid the same age as mine...but when my dd wanted to ride gf was nasty to her about it.

Almost to make matters worse... our kids were so good about everything. They were so obviously dissappointed each time but bounced back and were so positive.

Needless to say we will NEVER do this again. In the meantime I am so angry it sickens me. How can a grown man buy souveniers for himself... and then look at four little kids (HIS GRANDCHILDREN) and see their sad little eyes and just blow them off. I mean at one point he actually suggested that the kids share meals... WHAT!! They made reservations at some of the most expensive restuarants in the park and then want to make my kids share because it's too much money. Oh god I cant even describe this experiance...

So, now DH is mad... but more so he is hurt. He has had a lot of issues with his dad in the past and he kind of felt like he was making progress but now it is all blown to pieces... after watching his father buy for himself and his daughter and even her gf but leave his son daughter in law and more so his granchildren out... my DH is beyond hurt. I can see it. I can feel it. Today we had to go to his mom's house for a little bit since it was christmas ... and ofcourse his dad showed up and he sister was there with her gf... needless to say we left pretty quickly. I just dont even know how to react at this point. I dont know what to do for DH... I dont even know what to say really. I mean ... what do you say... I am sorry your family is crap but at least you have mine. It's all so sad and so difficult to understand. I come from a really big loving family. I mean they have their faults...but in the end any one of my family members would do anything for another. My family would have gone without to make sure the kids had fun. His did what they want and dont even feel like there was a problem. My DH made the comment that he should have known better but he thought it would be different .... that is the saddest part of all. I mean he is an adult a grown man and so he is moving on...but I can just see the little boy that just wants his dad to love him and treat him well... and unfortunately I cant give him that.

Comments (8)