SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osubuckeyes88

Starting a step family in strange circumstances

osubuckeyes88
17 years ago

I will be so grateful to anyone who can help, or has found information or had a related experience to draw from. My fiance and I are in (what we think) may be a very strange situation and are looking for guidance about how best to proceed. She is a mother of 2 girls, ages 10 & 7. I am a father of 1 girl, age 3. We actually live in different states and the plan is for her and her girls to move to the state I am in. Because the the girl's father is not happy about the move, and the older daughter has one year left in her school, so we want to have her finish, they will not be able to relocate for about 1 year. However, in the meantine it looks like they will all be able to spend a good portion of the summer with my daughter & I. While we dont like the extra 1 year wait, we do actually like this "transition" summer for a number of reasons. The first thing is, it will give the girls a chance to see the new area, get used to it a little bit, make some friends, etc without the immediate threat of move. (while not always realistic, our hope is they love it and then are excited about the eventual move)... Secondly, it will give us somewhat of a "trial run" on all being together and family integration. Everywhere I read that, if possible, you are supposed to make transitions in steps, get the children comfortable with the new situation, and involve them in the process (which btw we would be taking them with us during this time to shop for our eventual new home).

So here's the problem: The girl's father has decided in his mind that this is is all bad for the girls, and before he will "allow" it, he wants to see documentation about the affects of such a move, and have the girls see a therapist to determine the impact this will have. Here's where we are: We can't seem to find ANY information that would match our scenerio. And we are somewhat concerned about the therapist, only because we want this whole summer scenerio to be positive and exciting, rather than a scary event they are overthinking and overanalyzing. Lastly, we are looking for feedback/validation that what we are doing with this summer is in their best interests, rather than hurting them.

If anyone can help, give personal experience, or point to a great place for reference material, it would be hugely helpful. For the girls sake, we truly want to "do this right". But figuring out what is the "right way to do it" is not all that easy.

Comments (12)