SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

unexpected cooking in a strange kitchen!

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

Hi all. I had to do some unexpected cooking in a strange kitchen today, and it turned out to be a good experience for the most part. I don't have any pictures, but I thought I'd share the story. Anyone who has ever cooked in a kitchen that wasn't their own can identify.

My family (with whom I've only been reunited for less than a year) has been asking me to come up and visit and clean some carpets for them with my steam vac since I'm the "vacuum guy". I was talking to granny over the week and told her I might make a lasagna and bring up for my uncle (her son, the one that raised me) since he's been wanting one and his wife just doesn't cook anything doesn't come in a box that states "just add water". Well, I was so tired after a busy week at work and just did not have the energy to make a lasagna. I told granny I MIGHT make it, not that I would. I called her this morning to tell her I was on the way.... I was excited to see her because I'd just gotten her a Bunn coffee maker that she'd been wanting for a while (and coffee and a piece of banana nut bread from Starbucks). She asked if I'd made the lasagna. I said no, I was too tired/busy and didn't do it. She said, "Oh dear, I promised Alan (the son/uncle) you were making it and he was looking forward to it. He took the day off because you were coming up and he tried to make an apple pie for dessert because you were bringing the food!" I said, "Oh dear, I guess I'll stop at Publix and get the stuff and just make it at your house before I visit them!" She said that would be great. I hoped his apple pie would be better than the Thanksgiving pumpkin pie... that had a HAND PRINT in it from where someone tried to take it out of the refrigerator. Rednecks are entertaining if nothing else :o) I hung up, opened the sun roof, turned up my favorite praise/worship music, started singing, and hit the cruise control ready to enjoy the rest of the hour long drive to hicksville. Then it hit me what I'd just agreed to do. Cook from scratch in a SMALL, ill-equipped kitchen with lots of clutter and no counter space or dishwasher and on an electric range even though I've only used gas for the last 5 years... and then go shampoo carpet for 2 relatives! I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach... and did not enjoy the rest of the drive! I canceled cruise control, closed the sunroof and turned the music off... I wasn't in the mood to be happy! It only got worse when I went to the nearest Publix... one I hadn't been to since I was 18... it took 45 minutes of meandering around just to find the eggs, but 37 dollars later (had to by a disposable baking pan, sauce, beef, sausage, spices, garlic powder (I know granny doesn't even know what a garlic press is, let alone own one), 3 kinds of cheese, no boil noodles, it was an expensive lasagna!), I was on my way! I got there, we hugged and I started trying to cook. I had to (hand!!) wash everything I used before I could cook with it, she doesn't see well anymore and I don't know how well she washes and she said she may have "critters" in the cabinets since she lives the middle of a forest! I started trying to brown the beef in a cast iron skillet (I don't use cast iron, that's all she has!) on a cheap electric coil range, which took forever... I'm so spoiled with gas and induction. She asked me what temperature I needed the oven to be pre-heated to... I said 375. Well, electric ranges have 2 knobs for the oven, she turned on the temperature knob, but forgot to set the other one to "bake" so when I was ready to put the lasagna in, it went into a cold oven. That would have been fine, except they were expecting me to have made the thing already and to have arrived a lot sooner.... it took an hour to bake. It was not fun, but I still enjoyed my time with her. While it was baking, I showed her how to use her new coffee maker and fixed a sewing machine for her (what was she expecting it to do with tension and stitch length both set to zero?) and we laughed and talked and looked at family pictures and quilts. She wouldn't let me wash the dishes... which was fine, it gave her something to do, and I haven't hand washed a dish since I left home until today when I pre-washed the cooking utensils.

Well, I'm happy to say, despite all the obstacles, the lasagna was fabulous and I had great success with the no boil noodles for the first time ever! I think I didn't take the directions seriously when I tried them in the past and forgot to double the sauce and cover with foil. This time I did! The uncle and aunt and both grannies and the little cousin that I was raised with all loved the lasagna... it was pretty good considering all I went through to produce it. I left the leftovers with them, though there wasn't much left. It was a lot of work, and very trying to cook in a kitchen that wasn't mine, but it all made for a great day and some real quality time with granny.... it'll be a good story years from now. Granny has a big mouth and I've now been reminded to be careful what I say to her!

The apple pie was terrible by the way... the crust looked like a birds nest (apple pie shouldn't have a lattice crust anyway!) and my uncle must have had a few too many beers before me attempted to make it because it tasted like a whole bottle of lemon juice was in it. I guess his heart was in the right place :o) Of course I had to say it was the best one I'd ever eaten (thinking all the while, "I hope he washed his hands first!", and hoping I wasn't encouraging him to ever try that again)!

Though crazy, it wasn't a totally bad day, but I'm exhausted now. Granny made me laugh... she was telling me that she needed a new "hand sweeper"... I asked what was wrong with hers and she said, "Well, just when I get ta goin' good with it, tha handle flies off!" I laughed almost as hard as the time I sucked up her hand sewn quilt blocks with my Dyson hose and they made it all the way into the filled dirt chamber.... what fun! :o) Now to go pry dog hair and mud out of my poor steam vac and Kirby, where's my martini?

Happy cooking :o)

Comments (31)