SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merimom_gw

Please Help Soon! Tiling step down to carpeted family room

merimom
14 years ago

We are tiling our kitchen in 13x13 and 19x19 porcelain tiles in what I think is called a "hopscotch pattern".

We just removed the layers of glued down wood laminate, vinyl tile, and luan to get to the plywood subfloor. My DH is getting ready to lay the hardibacker and decided now is a good time to start disagreeing about how we are going to tile the step down.

Here is the step:

{{gwi:1534534}}

We have a 3x13 bullnose tiles, but we can't decide if (A) the bullnose should go on top (as part of the kitchen floor) and then put field tiles on the riser part of the step, OR (B) the bullnose should go on riser and brought up to be flush with the tiles on the kitchen floor.

Option A:

{{gwi:1534535}}

Option B:

{{gwi:1534536}}

We have a couple concerns either way. If we go with Option A (bullnose as part of the kitchen floor) - then we have a 3-inch strip of tile going the whole length of the step which I don't think looks so great. If we go with Option B (bullnose on the riser) then we have a grout line at the edge of the step and we are concerned that this grout will crack.

Any advice out there? I know this is a terrible weekend to be seeking advice bc hopefully everyone is out enjoying the holiday weekend, but we need to keep this project moving bc we have to littles ones crawling/walking around.

Thanks!

Comments (3)