SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meycita

Need advice about dating a Dad

meycita
17 years ago

I apologize if this email gets too long, but i need a serious advice:

I've been dating my BF for 9 months, I live in Miami FL and he lives in Washington DC. He is divorced with 5 kids.. (two girls 12 and 10 and three boys 8,7,6) I am 23 and he is 31. We love each other very much and we're planning on moving in together in december after i finish college (I'm moving to DC or Ohio if his job transfers him). His kids live in Ohio with their mom, my BF drives 3 weekends of the month to see them, and the fourth weekend we spend it together, he either comes down or i go to DC to see him. I still haven't meet the kids. They know about me but he hasn't introduce us yet. We have talked about it and i feel that i am pressuring him into introduce me but i feel like im left out on the most important part of his life. Since we first started dating he made it clear that his kids come first and i've been ok with that but i hate being in the shadow. At first he used to say that he would introduce me when he felt that the kids were ready because the doesn't introduce "dates" to his kids. But now that we have plans of starting our lives together he says that he doesn't know the appropiate way of doing it since everytime i come up to see him i stay with him and thats the weekend he doesn't have the kids, and he wouldn't like to introduce me to the kids while im sleeping over at his place (him getting the kids for the weekend plus me spending the weekend there). I suggested that maybe he could go and get the kids for a few hours then introduce us and then drop them home, but he refused to because he says that it would confuse the kids since everytime he is in town (Ohio) they know that that's the time they spend time with their dad and they really look forward to it. Honestly this is really frustrating and i have unconciously put all plans with him on hold. We were fixing his house in Ohio to my liking because thats where we will eventually live but now i don't even feel like doing this. I feel like i shouldn't get any hopes up until im not a part of the kids lives because at the end i might get hurt. I don't know what to do about this. I know that part of him not introducing me to the kids is that his ex hates him and she would hold it agaisnt him the fact that he introduced another woman to the kid's lives and probably he wont get to see his kids for a couple of months but i think this whole situation is really unfair for me, because at the end im the one left out. Like i said im deeply in love with my boyfriend but i don't know what to do about this and it has me wondering if probably im in the wrong relationship. Have any of you have this kind of experience? Is there any advice from you guys to me? Anything would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996