SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_ll

Need advice on dated laminate kitchen

maggie_ll
8 years ago

My husband and I recently gave up on our house hunt and decided to stay put in our condo for a few more years. Until now, I had all but given up on our kitchen, which has dated looking almond melamine cabinets with honey oak trim, and matching laminate countertops.

Since deciding to stay put, my husband has given me the go-ahead to spend a little money on some minor changes to make the kitchen more exciting and functional.

I prefer to try and work with what I have rather than ripping everything out and starting over. The cabinets, though they are kinda ugly, are in great shape for the most part and have a sort of euro charm to them that I imagine could be brought into focus with an inspired design...I would like to try and make them work but change the surroundings to make the space look less dated.

We already started adding a mini subway tile back splash in champagne colored brushed stainless steel. IMHO it compliments the cabinet colors really well. The pictures don't do it justice. We are also adding oil rubbed bronze faucet fixtures and possibly replacing the range with a black and stainless steel gas range.

Any suggestions on paint, molding, counters, fixturess,

sink, flooring, etc.? I don't know what I should tackle next. Our budget is under $2500.

Comments (44)

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I agree with crl_ about the fridge but counter-depth do tend to be expensive. Maybe you can find one at a reduced price via sales, scratch-n-dent, or Craig's List? If not, I think stainless paint would help for both the fridge and DW to tie them into your new gas range, so everything matches. I've seen photos of that style cabinet painted fun colors and it really makes a huge difference. The ones I saw were painted a robin's egg blue and they were quite fetching. So choose a good color you like and paint. Yes, it's a lot of work to prep and sand to get a good finish but it's an inexpensive way to really make a big change. Then I would do whatever possible to clean up the clutter. I know this can be difficult in a small space but a nice painting at the end of the kitchen instead of the wall clutter, pretty bowls (or nothing) on top of the counters instead of a hodge-podge of books and other stuff, and as little other clutter as possible will go a long way to help make your new backsplash pop.

• Related Discussions

Need advice on hardwood vs laminate

Q

Comments (5)
    If you are looking to go with a laminate look to go with one with a mill of say 12. The higher the mill the denser the laminate, thus less likely to give you the "hollow" sound. Also take the time to upgrade your underlayment for it as well. Underlayment will be a the more expensive,but denser sound armour type of padding. The first question I would ask you though is how long do you plan on living in your current house (housing market aside, as by the end of the year we should begin to see it correct itself)? If you only plan on being in the house for 18-24 months then the wise investment would be a hardwood floor. If this is then the case look into a Engineered hardwood floor since you will be putting this in a "wet" area. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Laminate counter tops in otherwise luxurious kitchen? Any advice?

Q

Comments (97)
    I just had to post here...OMG...the lady that wrote Laminate and luxurious in the same sentence.."NO". I hope I never have to meet someone like you in my lifetime. What a bunch of snobby, snarky..people! I am sorry..I think you can have a beautiful, luxurious kitchen without paying for granite, quartz, soapstone...etc. My goodness. I am building a house now and get to hear from our subs about all of the snooty women that they have to deal with...literally walking out of a house because the closets aren't big enough... What kind of country have we become? I say..if you want to buy high end appliances...beautiful cabinets..and put it all in a laminate kitchen. I think it can be stunning! Don't listen to all of these snooty fruities.....do what YOU want..and the people that matter...won't walk into your kitchen and take a mental note of your laminate..I would think it was beautiful! And for those of you who think that I must be some low life...my husband is a doctor! There....rant over! :-)
    ...See More

water resistant laminate over tile in kitchen, need advice

Q

Comments (19)
    Just giving that tile a good and proper washing and than maybe doing some altering of the grout....there are ways to recolor it very likely.....maybe to a gray tone that would blend in nicely with your other new flooring?? That red tile is so much more superior to many tile products of today. It is harder and more durable. You won't likely find a cracked corner or broken piece. See if you can get some advice on how to 'renew it' before you determine to remove it? If you are worried about your budget, spend a little and see if you don't warm up to it....look at what long needle pine boards are now worth in old houses...30 years ago in renovating........they got pitched and burned..."Who would want THAT?" NOW, for some it is akin to finding gold nuggets...
    ...See More

Any remodeling advice for my dated and boring kitchen?

Q

Comments (31)
    you could choose to go lighter w/a creamy white quartz pre-fab A 9' piece in a similar color like this, should cost less than $500. (they also have 3x5 and 4x6 island pieces) Then, hire a fabricator to cut it to fit to your kitchen dimensions. Total should be under 2K. this is a granite called Jet Mist or Virginia Mist. it can be polished, honed (shown) or leathered. I like this black one Celerygirl mocked up for you. the black looks great w/the wood and the floors. Woven wood blind is nice too You could bring in a creamy white wall color, some new hardware for the cabinets (a very soft brushed gold or maybe an ORB or venetian bronze) And a creamier white backsplash tile. since you have a solid countertop, you can easily do any type of design or mosaic. Check on Blinds.com for the woven wood blinds, or something like this Classic Roman shade. they have tons of colors and patterns they also have these other blinds (a bit cheaper) that come in many colors. I used these in a soft green over the kitchen sink for a house we flipped. Oh look, another Pre-fab. Galaxy White by Stone Contact this is a creamier white granite and would actually be a nice choice w/your cabinets Find out if you have any fabricators warehouse or shops in your area, or check your local stone yards, and see what kind of remnants they have. You may luck out and find a 1/4 slab left over from another job that you can use. Maybe you could do something solid for the perimeter, but bring in something more dramatic for your island. Remnants will give you that option. (offer to pay in cash for a discount on pricing)
    ...See More
  • rantontoo
    8 years ago

I would paint the whole door frame to visually eliminate the wood colored trim. Also, by switching cabinets around, can the refrigerator move to a different location and those cabinets be moved to fill the fridge space?

I know you said "keep cabinets" but are there IKEA cabinet "experts" reading this post..what would IKEA cabinets run for a kitchen this size? If I could get a better, more functional layout, I would paint the current appliances to match the stove and put reasonably-priced Menards/Ikea butcher-block on new IKEA cabinets if I could stay near the $2,500 range. I read an old post where someone used India Ink and a sealer treatment to make her butcher-block look almost like soapstone. It was very resourceful and looked great. The farmhouse IKEA kitchen sink looks awesome with butcher-block counters too. It can also be hacked to be an under-mount instillation if you could find a reasonably priced remnant solid surface and DIY. Our local fabricator charges basically for just his labor on his remnants just to get rid of them. There are also on-line sources that sell remnant solid surface material fairly cheap...again if you can DIY.

• lam702
    8 years ago

Melamine cabinets are indestructible. Since you say you are on a limited budget you probably are not looking to buy new cabinets. What about painting the oak trim on the cabinets? Maybe a dark bronze to compliment the oil rubbed bronze fixtures? I think you could get it in a metallic type finish if you wanted that, and leave the almond color doors as is. That might give it a modern feel. Then, if you can afford it, maybe a new laminate counter, something that would compliment the backsplash colors. I think you could even go with a dark counter, since your cabinets are light in color and if your backsplash is light. I agree that refrigerator sticks out pretty far. But you probably are not looking for an expensive refrigerator and bisque appliances are in limited choices (I know this because I have bisque, which I do like but need a new refrigerator and can't find a good bisque french door fridge, alas)

• antmaril
    8 years ago

I had those cabinets in my previous home and I took one of the doors to Lowe's and had them color match the paint. We then painted the oak trim to match the cabinet and it looked a lot more modern. My plan was to add some hardware to the doors, but I never got around to that before I moved. I had stainless steel appliances, which also added to a more modern look (ss replaced bisque). I think a new, darker laminate counter top might look great, too.

Good luck!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Lowe's carries epoxy appliance spray paint in 'biscuit'. It's a satin finish and very durable (I used it on a range hood, and used the left over on the legs and rungs of a stool). One can at ap $4.00-$5.00 would probably be enough to paint the wood strips on the cabinet doors. You'd need to remove and tape off each door and drawer, and paint in a well-ventilated garage, or outdoors on a calm day. If you don't want the mess of spray paint, Lowe's also sells epoxy paint in cans, and can mix it in light colors. I've used that product on ceramic wall tile and a bathroom vanity (not countertop), with excellent results. It's more expensive, though, in a 29oz can.

Epoxy countertop paint at Lowe's.

Appliance epoxy spray paint at Lowe's.

• houserookie
    8 years ago

I agree with antmaril. Painting the trim the same color as the cabinets will make it look like those modern European kitchens. If you can get SS appliances, it would work. Sometimes you can get a nice sale or bundle going. I've heard of people getting good deals on Craig's list.

Modern pulls for the cabinets will give it some life. And changing out the countertop to match the modern look would tie the whole thing up.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

My big expense would be to replace the appliances with SS. You don't need expensive appliances but they will make a huge difference. I would NOT paint the cabinet melamine. However I would paint the wood trim on the cabinets something like a dark, warm gray. Then I would replace the countertops with either a soapstone or if that's not in budget, a laminate that looks like soapstone. This will give you a black/gray/off white vibe which is very metropolitan looking for very little money.

I would then paint the back wall in a bright fun color that plays off the gray/black.

• Hillside House
    8 years ago

I'm not gonna lie... I sort of dig the cabinets as-is, and paired with the floors, I think you could get a very awesome MCM vibe... Glass tile backsplash in a cool green, some interesting light fixtures, etc. Having said that, I definitely think you could get new cabinets from Ikea in that budget, and if you're getting new cabinets, you could potentially rework the layout slightly to make the fridge not stick out.

• omelet
    8 years ago

I'm glad you're going to work with what you have. I agree with focusing your remodel dollars on the appliances first. Then I would consider painting one or more walls for some contrast with the white cabinets. Then, if you need the wall space for storage, I would look at IKEA offerings for hanging wall storage - they have some nice modern-looking options to replace what you have now. If you don't have under-cabinet lighting, I would look into whether that can be added inexpensively. I hope you have fun with the remodel!

• Ziemia
    8 years ago

Under cabinet lighting? it would highlight the new back splash, which I assume you love. Agree with not painting the cabinet doors (laminate) but with painting the trim.

I could be inexpensive to replace the counter top with some color. My kitchen is circa mid 80s and did white cabs and counters. Got so tired of it, I replaced the peninsula counter with a fallen leaf pattern Formica in greens. It works so well and 10 years later I still love it. AND, they trimmed the front edge of the other counters with that Formica. And we have those cabinets in one of our rentals ---- but paired it with a great muted red counter (complements the wood floors) and so it still works well. The long section could be pricey, but the parts near the range would be easy.

Since folks highly recommend the ss appliances - I'd go along with that, and get a new range, d/w, and microwave. I'd think minimizing the black in the appliances would be a very good thing. IF replacing the d/w is something you'd rather avoid, there are ways to cover / change the front panel.

Once all that is done, you can think about the floor, and that can be very inexpensive.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Check inspiredled.com for under-cabinet lighting. Very inexpensive, works great, easy to install, and very very helpful customer service.

Is the microwave also a vent? Does it vent to the outside, or is it recirculating? Either way, I would consider removing it altogether, replace it with a modern-looking hood. I'd then put a small microwave somewhere out of the way, especially if it isn't used frequently.

• maggie_ll
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! Some truly awesome suggestions! I'm amazed at how many people chimed in with great ideas.

I don't have my mind made up by any means, but I am leaning towards spending the majority of the budget replacing the fridge, dishwasher and range with stainless counter depth models. I also liked the idea of installing an exhaust hood, which is something that would add functionality and style at the same time. I will be keeping an eye out for a good deal on Craigslist or a used appliance store.

If I have any money left over, or can convince hubby to expand the budget. I would love to do either white or red quartz countertops and a sunken black sink. Would that look bad?

Also, call me crazy, but I found some GORGEOUS wallpaper at a thrift store the other day. You can see the rolls of it on one of the counters, it's cream colored with gold, red and silver ink and a really pretty pastoral print. I absolutely love it. I was thinking of doing a feature wall on the far wall between the two counters. I feel like it would be a fun/unique way to warm up the space. Bad idea?

I might also try painting the walls above the counters taupe. So much to think about! I'm getting excited!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

If you love the wallpaper, that could make a great accent wall. In a kitchen, it is best if it's a scrubbable paper.

If it will help the budget and if your DW still works well, you could always paint your DW with stainless steel paint. Just invest a bit more (about $30) for a really good one like this one. It looks great and wears well and looks like real stainless steel, not a paint.

You might want to spend some time on Houzz looking at different kitchens to get inspiration photos to help spur your creativity. Of course, if you come back and share your ideas and your inspirations, there are some real creative design folks here who can further help you hone your vision. Best wishes and have fun!

• jakkom
    8 years ago

>>I would love to do either white or red quartz countertops and a sunken black sink. Would that look bad?>>

Don't go to the expense of quartz on those cabs. If you have to sell in a hurry, all the buyer will see is a rip-out of functional but tired-looking cabs. And under NO circumstances get a black sink. For one thing, they show water spots like crazy. For another, most people don't like them, they look like a big black hole in the room, and your kitchen is small enough as is.

Get a nice new laminate. There are some really excellent photorealistic patterns.

If you must wallpaper anything, make sure it's strippable/removable. If I walked into a kitchen and saw wallpaper my first instinct would be to remove it. We can't stand wallpaper and neither can any of our younger Gen X/Y friends who are prime homebuyers.

Your flooring is handsome, it will look very good with your tile and a new countertop. Get it refinished if need be; the neutral tone is warm and pleasing with the artificial light. Your light fixture looks new but it doesn't seem adequate, so undercab lights are definitely in order. Be aware that if your countertop is shiny there will be reflection from undercab lights!

I personally like galley kitchens; they're very efficient. Unless you have a reason to change out the appliances, I'd suggest not doing so. You'd need to get all three appliances in stainless, and to get decent quality means your $2500 is pretty much used up at that point. There are better ways to spend your money to get the best overall effect.

Balance salability against visual style. If your cabs are in good shape I wouldn't bother changing anything about them, although painting the trim is a good idea IF you're willing to do a good job. Handles take a lot of beating and painted surfaces need to be scrubbed clean. Nicked/dirty paint will lose a lot more points with sellers than slightly passe but still functional oak trim.

• jakkom
    8 years ago

Sorry - on my above post the second paragraph should be " a nice new laminate COUNTERTOP".....ggrrr, I wish we could still edit a post!

• Hillside House
    8 years ago

GenX here, and I am planning on putting a gorgeous wallpaper (floral by Rifle Paper Co.) in my kitchen. I'm not sure I would do it if I was planning on selling anytime soon, though... I think that it's not very resale-friendly.

• maggie_ll
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had no idea about black sinks and water spots! Would stainless work better? I hate how the current sink is just a slightly different shade of cream than the counters. It really bugs me for some reason. And it gets dirty so fast.

If not quartz, what about butcher block counters? I hear they're on the cheaper end? I think if I were going to go with laminate I would just keep the existing counters, as they're in decent shape and they at least match the cabinets.

I definitely appreciate the honesty about the wallpaper, though I do feel like for my own sake I need to do something fun and different in this kitchen since it's so "blah" as it is. I hate spending time in there. Maybe save the wallpaper for our bedroom and hang some art on the wall instead.

I agree about the floors, we might be refinishing the floors on the whole main level actually.

I like the idea of painting the dishwasher to save money. I think we will at least spring for the counter depth stainless fridge (ideally finding a good used model), and my husband has been promising me a gas range for ages, so that's definitely happening! Haha.

I will post some before and after shots when it's all done!

• omelet
    8 years ago

After having done several DIY projects involving wallpaper removal, I never want to use wallpaper again. If you don't like a paint color, it's so easy to change. If you don't like the way wallpaper looks, or get tired of it... well, it's much more of a challenge to change. However, if you already have the wallpaper and know you like it, that's great, go for it!

• maggie_ll
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gennifer, I just checked out the Rifle Paper Co site and they have some gorgeous prints! I love the copper peonies paper. I was thinking wallpaper was coming back into style...but I have always been a bit out of touch, so what do I know?

• lam702
    8 years ago

Wallpaper is a very personal taste type thing - for resale I wouldn't do it. But you can always take it off if you do sell. I've papered and removed wallpaper so often in my own house that I swore I would never wallpaper again. It can look dated faster than anything. I think your floor is nice too, since you've chosen the champagne backsplash, I think the warmer earth colors would be nice, which is why I suggested painting the wood trim on the cabinets a bronze or some dark shade. You could get paint to match the melamine, but I think its always going to look different, so I'd leave the melamine as is, and accentuate the oak trim with color? Someone suggested a dark grey, which would look nice with soapstone, but I don't think the expense of soapstone (or any other stone) is worth it with old cabinets. I'd go with a nice laminate, and you will have unlimited colors and styles to choose from. I'd wait on appliances if funds are limited, the bisque may be dated but it does go with the cabinet color. I myself love bisque, I haven't replaced my bisque appliances yet, and when they do go I'll probably do SS, only because bisque is only available in limited models.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

If strippable wallpaper is put up appropriately, it should strip off easily. Also, make sure it's scrubbable in a kitchen. If it's strippable, it should be easy to remove and then paint if/when you sell. Of course, a fun color and a great piece of art could be easier and just as fun. :)

If you like the laminate and it is in good shape, I think a new backplash and sink might be all the change you need to do there.

There are ways to do butcher block that is quite inexpensive. If you google around, you'll find lots of suggestions on how to build your own and where to buy it more inexpensively. If you purchase from a regular kitchen place, even a big box store, you will pay a lot more. So definitely research your options.

• MizLizzie
    8 years ago

Wallpaper is back, but in more modern patterns and primarily on feature walls. Grass cloth is out, I believe. In or out, I love wallpaper. I'd suggest you hang it after pretreating your wall with Shieldz sizing by Rustoleum. Cheap and available at HD or Lowes. Then you can strip the paper easily before resale if your realtor advises it. ITA on painting that oak trim. Amazed by the SS paint and cannot wait for your reveal on this project.

I do deeply dislike the black appliances and think a black sink would be dreadful. The one you have is not bad, but the faucet looks a tad dated, perhaps. I might replace that wooden heart shelf with more IKEA rails.

This will be a fun project!

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Here's an off the wall idea, so take it for what it's worth. : ) Is there room just off the kitchen area for a hutch, armoire or secretary desk of some kind? If so, it could be used to hold the cookbooks, the mail, the goodies on the fridge, and maybe a coffee station, It could even function as a makeshift pantry, or double as a command zone where keys and purses and the family calendar are kept. This would leave your kitchen feeling more open and airy. Usually these types of furniture items are rather inexpensive on Craigslist. You've gotten some great suggestions already, so this is the only thing that I can think to add.

Oh, that and I heartily second the suggestion to sizing the wall before wallpapering. It will make a huge difference in avoiding the cursing of whoever takes it down at a future date, especially if that person is you. ; )

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Much as I love wood -- I'd paint that wood trim in this kitchen! Perhaps the black DW could be replaced with a white one? Or all the major appliances could be black? (Someone suggested SS, but that still leaves that fridge as the odd man out, and besides I doubt my personal tastes would ever recommend SS... LoL.) At any rate, I do think all the major appliances should be the same color. (Um, even if it is SS...)

Unless your laminate countertops are up-peeling, leave them alone, since funds are on the lower side. I got to admit I have the exact same ones in my current home -- I don't like them, but I can live with them. If you do replace, they now have laminate that wraps around, which if I were going to stay here, at this point I'd so totally do!

If you paint the wood trim white, and if the appliances are white or SS, I'd go with something more bold for the walls. If you paint the wood trim bronze as someone else suggested, the walls remain fine as white, or you can experiment -- that's one upgrade you can inexpensively revise!

Wallpaper: no. I still remember removing it 25 years ago from a condo bathroom I lived in, in extreme pain. And I had help. And that bathroom was just large enough to pass code, barely.

EDIT: No, I didn't LIVE in that bathroom. But I think you know what I meant...

• practigal
    8 years ago

I just bought a beautiful new to me kitchen (omega cabinets with granite countertops). I found it on craigslist at an amazing price (less than the amount I was quoted to redo my countertops). I knew what size cabinets would work and moved on it when I saw it. Buying used is kind of a game with me. You may want to play too...

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Regarding wallpaper - in our old Craftsman-style home, the living room, dining room, kitchen, foyer, wall going up the stairs, the upstairs bathroom, and two bedrooms all had been wallpapered. I loved it and it fit the home's style. When we moved out, we were keeping it for a rental and knew it would be easier to rent with neutral walls. Since all the wallpaper was strippable and since we had put sizing on the walls prior to wallpapering, as recommended by laughable, it took me 1 day, working alone, to remove all the wallpaper. And some of these rooms were big with 10" ceilings in the main living spaces. And most of the wallpaper had been up for close to 20 years.

I just don't want you to be scared off of using wallpaper as an accent wall if you decide to go for it. Do it right and choose the right wallpaper and it's very removable.

• maggie_ll
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again everyone! Work on the kitchen stalled for a bit due to sister's wedding and financial concerns, but I'm hoping to get back on track this week!

I am still going back and forth on the wallpaper. Can't make up my mind on it. Thankfully it only cost about $20 total! I might just save it for a future project...

Ok, new question for y'all! Right now there is a horrendous fluorescent lamp under the cabinet above the sink. It is hooked up to a switch, which is nice, but I never use it because the quality of the light is terrible and gives me headaches. I would like to put something else there...would a small, modern pendant light work? Some kind of cute track lighting maybe? Or just put a low profile led lamp in the same spot the fluorescent one is now?

Any ideas/suggestions or photo inspiration would be awesome! TIA!

• Terri_PacNW
    8 years ago

I love a fun little pendant over the sink, but I don't think you have enough clearance with the cab over the sink. So check out the mini LED low profiles in the lighting section.

• amg765
    8 years ago

LED puck lights.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I agree with Terri. Check out LED options. There are a lot of different color temps to choose from so you can find one that appeals to you. We like the 3000 kelvins.

I only skimmed the comments here, but I wouldn't change the cabinets one bit! I was at Ikea today and saw a new door style in the kitchen buying guide that is white with a a natural wood inset.

I also love your floor and unless it's beyond repair, I don't see a reason to change it as it relates so nicely to the cabinets.

It's not to everyone's taste, but you have so little wall space that I think the walls would look fantastic painted black. The dark color would make your cabinets pop and relate nicely to the black in your appliances tying it all together. Chalkboard paint would be fun and wouldn't be as much a strong contrast as black-black. Instead of wallpaper, you could use colorful chalk markers to change up wall designs at your whim. Black walls seem to be on-trend right now, so maybe that's an inexpensive way to modernize the space.

When you're ready to invest in this kitchen, I think I'd just put my money toward getting an electrician for good lighting: undercabinet task lights and 3 white globe ceiling fixtures. If you want new appliances, I'd do white only. SS would look so out of place here. We bought our white counter depth fridge for 50% off retail at the Sears outlet.

• maggie_ll
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I actually really like the idea of painting the walls black for contrast. Either that, or a dark, cool grey/green. The only problem is, the wall to the left of the fridge is the same wall as the dining room. So I would have to paint the whole thing, or find some way to limit it to just to the right of the fridge, which might look awkward? I don't know...I'm no good with paint decisions.

Unrelated...would crown moulding be out of place in a room like this? I was thinking it might make the kitchen look more finished if we added it.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

You could just paint the walls in the "u" (sink wall soffit, back wall soffit, range wall soffit.) it looks like the wall above fridge recedes, so to me that would be the dining room color.

I personally think this is a kitchen for simple, clean lines. Modern rather than traditional. I think crown would be out of place But if you love crown molding you should do it.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I knee-jerked against the idea of black or chalkboard paint but when I looked back up at your space, I think if you paint the areas benjesbride describes above that way, it could look awesome. I also think crown moldings would look out of place with those modern cabinets.

I agree that LEDs over the sink make the most sense. But you could have fun with the ceiling light. I think the style you currently have leans too traditional. I would buy something fun and more modern.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Ha! It obvious I'm avoiding housework right now, but here's a rough attempt at showing finished backsplash, black walls and three globe pendants. I think it'll look great and be A LOT cheaper than your original budget...

• romy718
    8 years ago

I've been checking this thread intermittently as I have an elderly aunt & uncle with the exact same kitchen cabinets who are considering moving. Is that your cat on the counter to the left of the frig? I'm not objecting to the cat on the counter but I have looked at your pics many times & just noticed him/her today.

• Ziemia
    8 years ago

The black would be fun. With the black you may need more than 3 bulbs for your ceiling fixture. Also, would adding a large mirror on top of that black if you should hate it work? Of course, that would mean what is on the fridge would appear twice. Fun.

This is making me think about adding a lot of drama to my kitchen. It's between my living room and dining room and is basically white. My living room is a very dark teal blue and the dining room is sponge painted red (bottom layer is Pepto Bismal Pink (mostly covered up) and the top is cranberry). I clearly love color === I feel hugged by it.

• maggie_ll
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haha...yes that is my cat Melisande! She has claimed that cabinet as her own. ;)

And, oh my gosh, I love the black! Thank you! We might even have some leftover black paint from a previous bathroom. I'll have to check.

I agree about the light fixture...i actually just bought and installed that one a few weeks ago. Believe it or not, the entire kitchen cieling was taken up by a huge cieling fan previously, so i went out to Menards and picked what i thought was the least-ugly inexpensive flush mount fixture i could find. I am not a fan of the flush mount lights that look like boobs...and that seemed to be all they had. My taste tends to be the mid point betwwen modern and traditional, with a little "glam." My dream light fixture is definitely not in the budget. I'm sure you all think my taste is horrendous! Haha.

• maggie_ll
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh! I just noticed the globe pendants in that mockup! That looks so great. I definitely like the idea of spreading them out like that. I wonder if it would be costly to re-wire, though.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I really like the combination of white, oak (or the color you have on the wood floors) with navy walls. I would leave the little wood strip on the cabinets myself. I think butcherblock counters wood look very nice and I think they are not real expensive. They even have a laminate that looks like butcherblock. I would go with all white appliances, so that the appliances blend in with the cabinets instead of standing out. In a small space I think that makes it look bigger not having the contrasting appliances breaking up the space.

I did quick search. This somewhat gives you the idea of the navy with white cabs and butcherblock counters.

I saw that star on the counter and thought how a unique light would be a cool focal point. Do what ever you are drawn to, but have it be something different that really draws the eye. Then do under cabinet lights or if possible a couple recessed ceiling lights on the sides? Just a thought. :-) Have some fun with it!

Edit: I just had another idea pop in my head haha! Why don't you make a wallpaper panel with the WP you found at the thrift store! Then it isn't a big deal if it isn't the stripable kind. Plus you can take it with you if you do decide to sell someday. It looks like a fairly easy DIY project. http://www.huntedinterior.com/2014/06/diy-framed-wallpaper-panels.html

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Like Rebunky, I too like navy walls with white and oak kitchens. If you replace the black appliances with white, I'd give navy a try.

• romy718
    8 years ago

I really like the globe lights & rebunky's blue inspiration picture. As I mentioned, my aunt & uncle have the same cabinets - not a true white- an almond melamine so the crisp white & navy or black isn't going to look quite the same. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic, as I am also looking for ideas to update their kitchen.

• gwlake
    8 years ago

The right navy would work with cream. It needs to be more of a deep teal-green navy vs a purple navy.

• antmaril
    8 years ago

I responded earlier that I had this kitchen for almost 30 years and that a few years ago we painted the oak trim to match the cabinet color. You have been getting a lot of good suggestions, but one that I keep reading is that you should get white appliances. Honestly, I think that would be a mistake. White appliances with those almond colored cabinets will not look good, IMHO. Bisque would be a better choice if you don't want to go with SS.

Just my two cents, of course. Good luck!