SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vermonter_2009

Laminate counter tops in otherwise luxurious kitchen? Any advice?

vermonter_2009
14 years ago

The good news - we just plunked down our deposit for beautiful new Crown Point cabinets. Our existing kitchen has laminate countertops, we were considering marble or granite for the new kitchen, but I have to say, the stone we have around the house (bathrooms mostly) stains easily. The laminate, on the other hand, hides messes easily and cleans even easier. We have three kids and don't want to sweat the maintenance of stone or butcher block. I suppose we could replace the countertop when our 6-month old leaves the house!

I know laminate has come a long way. Can anyone recommend a vendor? Anyone do something similar? Think we're crazy to spend the dough on cabinets and then buy laminate tops?

Off subject - but if reader's love their 36" free standing range let me know the model. We're looking at all options and fuel types.

Comments (97)

• jeniferrlynne
    14 years ago

I am so glad I saw this thread. We are definitely on a budget for the perimeter countertop, so I must thank Janie for sharing her details and pics. I have been considering butcher block for the perimeter since it seemed to have a classic feel to it but that Wilsonart soapstone is making me rethink!

• lizg_inmd
    14 years ago

If you like the look of marble, check out Mary Lynn NC's beautiful kitchen in the finished kitchens blog. I could not believe those countertops were not real marble, but they were actually Pionite. Here is a link to her kitchen photos:

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/MaryLynnNC/Kitchen/

• Related Discussions

Laminate Countertops - am I crazy

Q

Comments (23)
    Splais, Oh I so understand your dilema. Last year at this exact time I was hating my 4 by 4 ugly white tile with dirty grout. Cleaning peanut butter and jelly between grout lines was not only time consuming but a true pia. I would have been happy to have plywood before having to endure cleaning between the tiny grout lines. Formica, Wilsonart and other laminates are improved and quite beautiful. Vermonteer posted the same question you asked. Link below. Laminates have come a long long way from the orange formica with trimmed metal my mom used to have. And with all your counter space you will find it is a good choice. Here are some images so you can see how pretty it will look. ~boxer Formica Formica with beveled edge Formica Madras Indian Slate color Formica Formica White Wilsonart Here is a link that might be useful: Laminate counter tops in otherwise luxurious kitchen? Any advice?
    ...See More

Any Advice on the cabinet and counter top colour with this flooring

Q

Comments (39)
    I think Stephanie brings up a good point. She LOVES grey. If you love gray (and I mean not because it's the in color right now but you've always been drawn to shades of gray) then I say go for it. Especially if you have no plans of moving in the next 10 years. However if you are choosing the gray because it's what is being seen all around (like in RH which started the trend), and you've become "accustomed" to it, sort of like in the 60's we became accustomed to nehru suits and avocado green appliances, then I'd say go instead with something more neutral and bring in the grays in the other areas. Also, it may be the photo, but Stephanie's floors have a hint of gray but look more like a natural floor than one that was stained with gray. Beautiful kitchen btw!
    ...See More

Painting kitchen countertops? Any advice on epoxy based coatings?

Q

Comments (10)
    I have no experience with this, but I wouldn't paint my counters. They just get too much use, constant wiping, etc and I don't think a paint would hold up well for long. When I read your post, I pictured some horrendous color counters, but seeing them, they appear to be white/ivory, which is a nice neutral. To get them professionally painted to me, doesn't seem cost effective, you can get in stock preformed laminates that are not expensive which would be new and durable and probably not cost much more than having them painted.
    ...See More

Show me your wood-look laminate counter tops

Q

Comments (13)
    Kate, if you do want something that is very low maintenance, laminate is - the old and the newer. I think you're hearing from other people like me, who had the older laminate butcher block (and it was not attractive as I mentioned). If I were you, I'd go personally to the stores that carry it, and see it installed - otherwise I'd remain leery if I only had a sample piece to make a decision. After a quick look, the big box stores have Wilsonart laminate that is different from what I had (but I can't speak to the quality or final look): Though I did say above to check into IKEA, I personally would not want them for my entire countertop. They do require sealant, and re-sealing, and you need to be vigilant regarding standing water and faucets. Even Waterlox will have some issues, such as leaving black marks where rubber feet (the black kind) are - and some appliances have those. I'm doing a butcher block inset into our countertop, but it will be used for prep work and therefore won't be sealed, and I expect water marks and some bread-knife cuts. We'll remove and sand if we ever need to sell. Having said this, I've a relative who has wood countertops - but she never, ever cooks. Her countertops remain in pristine condition, but she is vigilant.
    ...See More
  • pfmastin
    14 years ago

We replaced old laminate with new laminate in December and I couldn't be more pleased. It looks great and functions great. I'd do it again in a minute. It's Etchings Perlato Granite. Enjoy your laminat!
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

pfmastin - that looks fabulous! Can I ask about your sink? Is it Blanco? That is exactly what I want! How do you like it and how has it held up?

Thank you!

Tina

• diy_dirk
    14 years ago

Rhome410, azstoneconsulting--

Thank you for the compliments!

desertsteph--

Seamless corners are indeed a factor of width. Discuss this with your fabricator. Every job is unique.

buffalotina--
    diy dirk - yes your counters, and the kitchen as a whole, look absolutely great. Do you mind sharing a few things: (1) What edge did you do on the laminate? (2) What brand/model is your drop in sink? I am probably doing laminate and I want a high quality large single bowl stainless drop in sink.

Thanks for the kind words. (1)It is simply a beveled edge. (2)The sink is made by Kohler. I ordered online and had it shipped to the house. I'm sorry, I don't have the model number for it. It is a deep bowl and we ordered a sink grid, as well.

Cheers,
    DD

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Janie-K

Thanks so much for the pictures. I went to the WilsonArt website and ordered a sample. I also emailed the pictures of your great kitchen to the client (with credits)so she could see the countertop in place.

This client is moving from a house with a full-on custom kitchen with soapstone, and in the new house her budget is 20% of what it was for that kitchen. We are trying for a similar look on a tight budget, and she said she would be fine with plain black laminate. I think your would be much more forgiving of scratches, etc.

• Vicki
    14 years ago

I'm putting in another plug for laminate. I don't believe for a minute that "if you pick the right granite you don't need to worry about it (styles changing)." Everything changes. And if it doesn't change, we get tired of the same thing after awhile no matter how much we liked it in the beginning. If you are planning to move in the near future it might raise the value, but with economy as it is what good it that going to be. Wilsonart has the most beautiful new type of laminate that I think is absolutely as beautiful as granite and difficult to tell the difference. Children are not going to be setting hot things on the counter I hope. Children have no business messing with hot things in the first place. We all love remodeling right? If the style doesn't change, colors change or we get tired of the same color. I am tired of decorators trying to tell people what kind of countertops (and appliances too for that matter)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I don't think its interior designers or decorators so much as all those "real estate experts" on TV that say if you don't have (stainless) appliances that all *match* and granite countertops --no matter how cheap the stainless appliances and no matter how cheap and hideous the granite--that your house will never sell.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

I agree, palimpsest. I genuinely hope we start seeing some return to reality, as in what can that young, first time home buyer, or close to retired buyer really afford instead of how much mortgage can they squeeze out of $XX a year income.

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

buffalotina,
    Yes, it's a Blanco and I couldn't be happier with it. There's not nearly the splashing as with my old double and it looks as new as the day it was installed.
    Pam

• lascatx
    14 years ago

To me, the undermount sink is more important than the countertop material. If I had to chose between them, I think I'd rather have a laminate counter with an undermount sink than a stone counter with a drop-in sink.

• caryscott
    14 years ago

straycat2010

Eastop Counters in Ottawa is (or was) a certified Counter Seal fabricator (they don't use the sinks they send you over to Boone Plumbing Supply to get something similar) and Uniform Countertops has their own system using a slab of a solid surface rather than the ring Counter Seal uses (Manotick Building Supply also has their own undermount system for laminate). Cefaloni Countertops does all the Home Depot's in town and they use Wilsonart as a supplier (along with the other companies). Uniform does too (they match the solid surface slab to the Wilsonart HD laminates in their undermount sink display). For postform most places purchase from Premoule while Cefaloni and Quicktop Counters use Belanger (Belanger and Premoule purchase from just about all the companies and you can check out what is available from their respective websites). Uniform makes their own postform tops with just one edge choice.

Formica has a factory in Quebec and you can e-mail them and they send out larger samples by UPS for free. I didn't check the Gatineau fabricatore but there are a few. Good luck!

• hondagirl
    14 years ago

diy dirk
    Hope you don't mind another question. You mentioned that your laminate is from Formica, which pattern is it? It looks lovely with your cabs. Also, your backsplash is great!

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

vermonter, one blogger I read recently would not only disagree with all of us on the laminate, but would insist that you must spend around 5x more on - marble. According to this blogger, an updated kitchen MUST have white cabinets, stainless appliances, and MARBLE countertops - note that means all the countertops, not just a baking area.
    Well, I understand that she's not talking to anyone in my neighborhood, or economic class, lol!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Yes, but she did say that wood cabs and granite already look dated, and in some cases I would have to say that's true. I looked at a foreclosure just the other day that was in very good shape (nobody lived in it after it was upgraded for spec in 2004) and the alderwood finished cabinets and uba tuba filled me with ennui, although I usually don't dislike uba tuba. But I just kept thinking "how 90's."

My point being, everything is going to date eventually, so just get what you like and don't worry about trends, except to be happy when a current trend includes things you like because that means they'll be easier to find in more places.

• caryscott
    14 years ago

I'm game to step out on a limb but is anybody else finding these Peacock inspired kitchens sort of oppressive? I am not for a moment suggesting they are not beautiful but the more I see them the more I feel like the whole look is just trying too hard. Some people like that aesthetic and I am not projecting motivations on those who have them but the finished rooms (not the homeowners) just make me feel like they are trying too hard to impress me. It the same sort of feeling I get from someone who is turned out with their clothes, hair and make-up - they really look great but the effort really shows too - it just seems like it's more effort than the given context warrants. That's how I feel about about a lot kitchens. Maybe it's just me.

• scootermom
    14 years ago

I find the Peacock inspired kitchens beautiful, and I'm happy for anyone who enjoys that style, but it's not my style. Sometimes I enjoy going to a B&B for a weekend that is loaded with antiques and frills, but nothing could be farther than how I want my bedroom at home. Peacock kitchens and fancy B&Bs are fun to look at, IMO, but I don't think I'd be comfortable at home w/ that style. I'm comfortable at home with my simple decor. If we ever remodel, our kitchen will be as comfy and practical as the jeans and a t-shirts I usually wear, with a little fun thrown in.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

caryscott - I loved them for a while - but the more I saw them done endlessly the more I am going off them - and yes 0 they try too hard. For my kitchen I still want to do white/cream period cabinets - but with a simple 1920s look - not the Victorian look which is what so many of them seem to be.m I will be doing laminate BTW, because after my cabinet splurge I will have no choice - and I actually want to make an anti-granite statement!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I'm with Scootermom about the Peacock kitchens...love to visit/look at them, because they are certainly gorgeous, but just wouldn't want to live there. They're just not my personal style. The Something's Gotta Give kitchen is similar, but better at being a little more barefoot type of comfortable, and it seems like a lot of people hit somewhere in between for a nice result.

Frankly, I suspect I've turned into some sort of minimalist, or maybe just Bauhaus oriented, and if I had to start all over, would give myself a skeleton kitchen, I think. --Good layout with great workspace and good performing appliances, but Plain-Jane in appearance...Just very, very functional. I would put the money where it's 'needed,' or functionally advantageous, and quit. (At least that's what I think until I was really facing the situation...) The luxury I enjoy in my kitchen, as I've said previously, is how it works for me, and I'd like to try a kitchen that's all about that, and I bet it'd turn out great looking as a result, because the most functional things can also be nice looking...But that beauty being in the eye of the beholder, I know.

Sorry, just indulgent rambling after very much enjoying my kitchen lately, and it's had nothing to do with how it looks.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

boxerpups - (arf!arf! - can you hear me?) lol!

what edge is it on that laminate that you said you liked it so much? I'm waffling back and forth on edging... I was thinking just a plain rounded edge - but I really like that one in the 1st laminate pic you posted here.

I have months to waffle about it tho - just really like how it looks on that laminate - I think butterum (my pick) will look similar to that one so the edging should look could on it also.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

One of the things that gets left out with all these "rules" is personal taste, or that undefinable "good" taste.
    For Resale, the realtor/expert insists upon:
    Granite
    Ceramic tile (around here)
    Stainless steel appliances
    Matching appliances
    No "dated" finishes/cabinetry

What choice would the expert have you make:

Suppress your Own taste to please a potential anonymous buyer.

Cheap (and/or ugly) granite is better than a nice laminate

Bottom of the line stainless fridge rather than an old white Subzero

4 matching cheap appliances instead of ONE good cooktop/DW/etc. to replace what *needs* to be replaced

Get rid of those old hand built cabinets with their "dated" look and get the cheapest home center cabinets that look nice. As long as it looks "new" and "up to date" thats all that matters.

• want2bsure
    14 years ago

I get excited when I save money, and then I can spend it on something I really want. Who cares what the neighbors are doing. But... can I do laminate with a farm sink?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Want2bsure, I have seen farm sinks with laminate counters in plumbing fixture store displays, but not in 'real life.' You would have to do something to protect the edge of the substrate where it met the sink, and probably also the underside. I doubt it's recommended, but I still wouldn't say it's impossible if someone is doing a custom laminate job for you.

• caryscott
    14 years ago

desertsteph,

It's called Valencia (if you click on it in the attached link you will see the pic Boxerpups posted).

I was away when this thread started my Mom has Formica's Iron Rust (Riverwash finish) in the Geneva Edge boxerpups posted 2nd last in her post:

Here is a link that might be useful: Belanger edge profiles

• shaun_2008
    14 years ago

Laminate counter tops have come a long ways but granite and stone will always be the top end. I install kitchens for a business and often times I see the cabinet budget cut in order to get the granite tops. You said you got Crown Point cabinetry, they make excellent cabinetry. I'd go with laminate until you're ready for the granite. A laminate counter top change is quite simple and wouldn't effect the resale nearly as much as granite on top of production cabinetry of adequate quality

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Some farm or apron front sinks have a side lip. I wonder if they could be mounted as a top mount rather than an undermount to tuck a laminate counter edge underneath.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

You could do one of the fireclay farm sinks from ikea, which are not undermounts, as discussed in this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: domsjo sink

• jenocurley
    14 years ago

We are doing shenandoah bereckenridge cherry spice cabinets and I am having a hard time deciding on a laminate. We want a darker color because our oven is black and stainless. Our refrigerator is stainless. We are going to do a hardwood floor just not sure what color floor yet either. Any laminate couter top suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinetry but the stain will be spice!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Jenocurley, have you had a chance to visit a store with a good rack (or 2 or 3) of laminate samples? There are so many great darks to choose from, it would be hard to recommend. Do you want gray/black, or more color? Do you like earth tones or jewel tones? Do you want a stone look or what other type of pattern? The field is too wide without knowing more about your preferences...even then the best first move is to look at samples and see what you love. At least narrow it down, then look for flooring and other elements and see what all works together.

best wishes!

• dontknow
    14 years ago

Glad I stumbled on this post (sort of) as we are also in the market for Laminate counters.

We do not have a luxurious kitchen or house (only one we can comfortable afford).

You all have beautiful pics and should be proud!

pfmastin &caryscott - just love those looks and will be trying to get those samples.

I'm sorry, this is only an opinion and not fact: "Laminate and luxurious kitchen in the same sentence. No." Depending where you are and where you've been, a $10.00 bottle of wine can be "luxurious".

Also I can't agree more rhome410 "...if you couldn't do stone counters you had no business buying high end appliances, as if the counter comes first. But to me, counter is work surface, and you can always upgrade later if it becomes important. The cabinets are something you really want to last, and the appliances are something you really want to perform, and that is where I'd rather spend my money.

It's remarkable people can actually think / believe that...

But then again, as I say, I'm in a modest home within neighborhoods that don't require the "real thing".

• kermit4777
    14 years ago

If this is your forever home, and you really like the ease and look of laminate, why WOULDN'T you do it? Because some people on a message board said it wouldn't look "high end" enough?

Really, go with your gut. If you like the laminate, get it! There's absolutely no valid reason not to.

• gldnfan
    14 years ago

DD and janie k - both of your kitchens are gorgeous.

To the poster who said essentially that a mix of luxury and budget keeps the luxury from showing - what a load of BS - the amazing backsplash pops beautifully from DD's kitchen and janie's light fixtures and cabinets are TDF.

And its already been said but the assertion that luxury and laminate in the same sentence is a no - please, that is simply a narrow minded assertion based on bias.

I spent a fortune on ice stone for my island - I once considered laminate because I thought it would go well with my nu-crete perimeter counters and I was having trouble deciding - oh how I wish I made that choice! Everyone loves the ice stone - it is quite the show stopper and I was also seduced. However, it is obvious it will not be an easy care surface and the glass easily chips out in places. I have only had it a month and the seam is chipping - it has not had hard use at all! We used the remnant for our wine bar and lemonade spilled during a party - deep etching within an hour. It is not in a very visible area but is very visible if you look at it so now I am frantic about what gets spilled on the island that is in full light - who needs that? I still like to look at it but I would not do it again.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

diy dirk - thx. my corner area is about as wide as what is showing of yours in the pic you posted above, so hopefully I'll be ok. will double check come fall when it's closer to time to make final decisions.

caryscott - thx for the info on the edges. the link was very helpful also - showing how they are put together. I saved the pics to a folder so I can refer to them when needed.

I really like the color of your mom's counter top too.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

I personally like laminate and think they work well in kitchens except for the sink area where I would use a simple stone for the integration of an undermount sink. I personally don't like American laminates. If you go to Europe, there is such a wide selection and the thickness of the countertops are also better in Europe. Poggenpohl displays laminates in pretty much all their showrooms and it is about 3" thick. It makes it look substantial and really attractive.

I am considering laminate for most of my kitchen and I have to learn how to build it up so it looks like the ones from Poggenpohl. I have included a link to what I am referring to so if any one has any ideas as to how to achieve this, I am all ears.

Homepro01

Here is a link that might be useful: Poggenpohl Island block, click on the multimedia popups

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

vermonter - did you decide what you're going to do yet?

• momto4boys
    14 years ago

We just had new laminate counters put in. Actually, just had the old ripped off..and new laminate over existing decks. But, our house isn't luxurious. Just a typical cookie cutter house.

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

If you like laminate go for it. Choose the material you want, granite, laminate, metal, stone, glass, or wood becasue you like it. Nothing else matters. Today, stone is a big trend, but trends always change. The fact that so many people are using it is proof that it is already on its way out. In 5 years, granite counters will be just as dated as the Corian ones are today. As for resale, what are the chances that someone who can afford our "luxury" kitchens will want the same stone that we chose anyway.

Go with what you think is best. Worst case, if you do ever get ready to sell, ditch your laminate for whatever is trendy at that time. You can bet that few of us will be able to just toss out our investment-grade granite.

• jone54557
    14 years ago

We are specializing in stone Farm sink. With rich colors and elegant styles ,our hand-carved and hand-polished Natural Stone Sinks Collection will harmonize with any decor.
    farm sink,farm sink,stone farm sink,carving farmhouse sink,sculpt kitchen sink,marble farm sink,granite farm sink,travertine farm sink,limestone farm sink Manufacturer, Supplier, Factory, Exporter in china

Here is a link that might be useful: chinasink

• pheebers
    14 years ago

FWIW, we have a small ranch, and we're doing our kitchen (gutted down to the studs) on a budget.

For 74 SqFt of countertop, we were quoted about $3000-$3500 for laminate. We shopped around and found granite on special for $45/sq ft, from a reputable local marble & granite place. At that price we didn't have a large choice in stones, and we opted for the plain quarter-round edging to save a ton of $, but our total cost will be about $3600 for the entire kitchen.

For us, because we have to consider resale (may need to move in a year or two) and because the price was essentially the same (although when I'm honest with myself I'm sure we could have shopped a bit more for laminate) we chose granite, but it was a surprise! I had just assumed that due to our budget we'd only be looking at laminate, but that ended up not being the case.

It's getting installed today, hope it all goes well....

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Here is my update.
    I was recently quoted $22 sq ft installed, E2000 edge by Hartson Kennedy, a national fabricator who does the post forming special edges. This edge is one that curves all the way under, leaving no particle board edge exposed.
    That is in the Wilsonart HD finish. Mine would have been $37 sq ft had I insisted on the Amore' edge - much fancier. I can live without that. I'm like the previous poster - too close to lower end granite prices.
    I'm more than thrilled to be paying $995 for my laminate! And, I am pretty sure I've decided on the Bella Capri.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Southern Stitcher: Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

• okpokesfan
    14 years ago

I"m redoing my kitchen and will be going with the Formica Radiance laminate with one of the ogee edges shown above. I can't really afford granite but don't really care. The laminates give me that great look without the crazy price. If I don't like it in 10 years, I can redo without hubby balking at the price! Go with what you like and don't let anyone look down on you because of it. If you want to "upgrade" later, you can.

• scoutfinch72
    14 years ago

Our Wilsonart HD Raven Gemstone counters were installed today and I am 2500 miles away! I can't wait to see them IRL. DH sent me a pic from his cell phone, but it's pretty small and doesn't show much detail. The transformation is already huge, though. The plumber is hooking up the faucet as we speak. I won't be home to get decent pictures for a couple of weeks, though.

Our installed price came to less than $20 a square foot.

• vermonter_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for all the responses. Believe it or not, we remain undecided, although I admit my wife is not very excited about laminate. We both have the same gripes about stone (too hard and cold), but we have three kids ages 9 months to 9 years old and are planning an undermount apron sink in the island. Most likely we'll end up with granite or quartz, but I'll keep everyone posted. The countertops are the last major decision and proving one of the hardest to make! We don't expect the cabinets to be placed until November, so we have some time (but the kitchen is only part of the remodel - can't wait to be done with this stuff.)

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Vermonter, my DH is like your DW. He finally just put his foot down about my laminate ideas. We just couldn't agree on a color/pattern. If I liked the color pattern, he didn't or it didn't come in a finish I liked. So we chose granite, even though we are both not thrilled about the hardness, or that it will cost $2K more than the laminate.
    But I am thrilled with the granite we chose. It really is lovely.

We also found the counters the hardest decision. But, once we went and browsed the granite yards, he found the perfect one in no time. He is more talented in that area than me. I just get overwhelmed. And knowing how I am, he also decided that we'll have a 4" backsplash of the granite. I take too long deciding and I'll put him through another month of torture trying to figure out a backsplash. Paint color will be bad enough, but no getting around that!

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

buffalotina,
    I was perusing old posts and came across your question. I don't even know if you want an answer anymore. :)

I have never regretted this sink for one minute. It's fabulous. Yes, it's a Blanco and looks as good 8 months later as the day it was installed.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the reply! I just decided finally on my counters/sink. After all I said I am doing absolute black granite and a blanco undermount single bowl stainless sink. Just the opposite of what I said all along..!

• Susan
    14 years ago

lol, vermonter, maybe we're cutting edge up here in the green mountains!
    i too have a luxury kitchen, or rather a cook's kitchen, with commercial range and hood, extra deep pot and vegetable sink, pantry with extra fridge/freezers, etc. but we prefer laminate too. it's cheap,super sturdy and available everywhere. if a buyer objects to it, than they are welcome to choose something else if and when we sell this place.
    we vermonters are a practical and thrifty bunch i think!

• issalambert
    12 years ago

I just had to post here...OMG...the lady that wrote Laminate and luxurious in the same sentence.."NO". I hope I never have to meet someone like you in my lifetime. What a bunch of snobby, snarky..people! I am sorry..I think you can have a beautiful, luxurious kitchen without paying for granite, quartz, soapstone...etc. My goodness. I am building a house now and get to hear from our subs about all of the snooty women that they have to deal with...literally walking out of a house because the closets aren't big enough... What kind of country have we become? I say..if you want to buy high end appliances...beautiful cabinets..and put it all in a laminate kitchen. I think it can be stunning! Don't listen to all of these snooty fruities.....do what YOU want..and the people that matter...won't walk into your kitchen and take a mental note of your laminate..I would think it was beautiful! And for those of you who think that I must be some low life...my husband is a doctor! There....rant over! :-)

• chillaxin
    10 years ago

Straycat2010. I'm also from Ontario , Canada and I've been to several laminate countertop stores and inquired about under mount sinks and they all said it wasn't possible...very disappointing to say the least as I will be installing a laminate countertop and was really wanting the undermount. :(