SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ranchreno_gw

Interior window material options?

18 years ago

We are doing a major rehab that will include a combination of replacement and new windows. Budget is a big factor.

In our current home (not the one being rehabbed), we've replaced 50 year-old windows with plain old white vinyl. Works just fine. In the new house, we're being tempted to go with wood interiors even though we'll be painting them, just for a higher end look. But as we try to trim our budget, I see this as a candidate for cutting back on both material and labor. Also not sure I want the extra maintenance of keeping up with the painted interior. Bad enough keeping the trim looking good.

The interior window trim will be painted white. Exterior of the house is most likely all brick with limestone accents around the more visible windows.

Are there pros/cons to a vinyl vs wood interior aside from aesthetics? I'd like real (not inside the glass) divided light, but I think they're available in both. I'm assuming you can't get vinyl inside and aluminum wood clad outside. So wondering if the real disadvantages of vinyl (aside from look) is how they hold up on the exterior.

Can someone shed some light? Is fiberglass an option?

Thanks!

Comments (6)