SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
june0000

In Laws, Exwife and Adult Stepdaughter

june0000
16 years ago

I am new to this board and really need to get some input before I go nuts.

I have been married for four years. I have no children and this is my first marriage. Husband has two adult daughters from his first marriage, which was a long-term marriage. The ex wife has not dated at all since the divorce and even though I get along with the ex, I suspect she is quite bitter that her husband met someone so soon after their divorce and remarried. She does an excellent job of playing the saint.

I was not the cause of the breakup of their marriage or their divorce. I came along after the fact and everyone involved knows this.

One daughter has been very bitter and there have been many ups and downs with her. She is married with children and has used her children as weapons and has also let me know on numerous occassions that I don't hold a candle to her mother, etc. I've taken more from her than I would from anyone. She pretends to be nice and then lets me have it. My husband does see this as she lets him have it, too.

The most recent problem occurred when my in-laws came in to visit from out of town. I was at an event the ex was at weeks before their visit and the ex told me she would like to see them when they were in town and asked me if I minded. I told her that would be ok. Both daughters were tuned in when she asked.

My in laws were in town for 2 1/2 days (3 nights) and they stayed with my husband and me. I had to work the entire time and had two evenings with them, most of which were spent cooking and cleaning up after dinner and being a hostess. They go to bed early and were sleeping when I left every morning, so I didn't see much of them.

The get-together with the inlaws, ex, daughters and grandkids was to take place the second day they were there. The daughter with kids wanted to have it at my house (while I was at work). I told my husband no as my house would be trashed as she doesn't discipline her kids at all and they jump on furniture, break things, etc. I was also having dinner for his folks that night and didn't have time to clean up after them after I got home from work.

Husband got upset with me as he has a very hard time standing up to his daughter. I asked him why couldn't his daughter have them over to her house? The get-together ended up happening at the ex-wife's house.

My husband and father in law took his mother to the ex's house the second day in laws were in town. The daughter with children chose to not arrive until just before lunch, missing her grandfather.

My mother in law spent the entire day with the granddaughters, g grandchildren and the ex. She didn't arrive back at my house until just as I was putting dinner on the table.

After dinner, the daughter with children called and invited her grandparents to a "party" at her house. She said she wanted to see her grandfather. She told her Dad he was invited and I was, too. I asked my husband if the ex was going to be there and he said yes. I told him I wasn't going to go - that it was very awkward and I didn't understand why the exwife had to be there at all. She'd spent the entire afternoon with my mother in law. Of course I didn't say any of this in front of my inlaws.

The inlaws did not know how to get to the granddaughter's house (they are elderly) so my husband ended up driving them there, and they all stayed at the party with the ex and all for over three hours. When they got home, it was time for bed and the inlaws left the next morning and I know they felt sheepish.

I was very, very upset with my husband for not standing up to his daughter, letting her disrespect me once again and for putting me in this impossible situation.

I was also very angry that he stayed there for over three hours. He could have dropped them off and picked them up. As for my in-laws, I know the ex was in their life for many years and she is the mother of their grandchildren, but they didn't live in the same town and according to my husband, they weren't even particularly close when they were married.

Also, when my husband and I met and then married, the inlaws weren't even interested in seeing the grandkids, let alone the ex. But I have found out the ex is sending emails to the inlaws, calling, and the daughters keep trying to bring their mother back into the family.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Divorce? I am very upset with my husband and also with my inlaws. They've always been very nice to me but I cannot help but feel like a second class citizen and this really took a lot away from the way I feel.

Thank you.

Comments (82)