SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof5angels

Stepdaughter's photos of mom and dad

momof5angels
15 years ago

I feel petty for even discussing this but the fact remains that it bothers me. Don't get me wrong...I'm not bothered at all by the fact that my stepdaughter has family photos of her Mom and Dad together...but it is just the location of one of these photos that gets me every time.

Over her bed hangs an old family picture of her dad (my husband), her mom, her and her brother. Why does this bother me? Because we live in a ranch style home with a large hallway down the center. Her room is at the end of the hallway (with my room being just to the right of hers)...As her door is usually open, every time I walk down my hallway (which is typically dozens of times per day) I see this 11x14 photo of my husband in a family portrait with his exwife.

Trust me...I knew I was marrying a man who had been married before. I knew I was helping to raise children I didn't bring into this world...but I see this happy, smiling family portrait of my husband with his former wife no less than 10-20 times per day and as the months pass it doesn't seem to bother me any less. At times I look at the ground so I do not have to look at it. I've even bumped into a kid in passing because I was trying to avoid seeing it.

If the picture hung elsewhere in the room it wouldn't bother me at all...it is just so prominent that guests visiting have seen it from the opposite side of the house and asked "That's not you, is it?"

I've said nothing to no one...not even my husband...but it does bother me. Can someone give me a different way to "look" at this situation?

Comments (35)