SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klmshe

Relationship with Adult Stepchildren

klmshe
15 years ago

I feel like I'm writing Dear Abby, but I really need objective advice. My husband and I have been together for 10 years and married for 6. He has 2 adult daughters, ages 22 and 20, and a 15 yr old son, with whom we still have visitation. We had sole custody of the oldest daughter and visitation with younger daughter and son. When we married, SD22 did have some issues in determining her new role in the family, but things got easier. There have never been problems with the younger ones, and ex-wife is not an issue.

The problem began a couple of years ago when SD20 moved out of her mother's house and on her own. It seems the older daughter tried to make the younger one jealous of her relationship with her dad by telling her fibs of hanging out with and "having a couple of beers with dad" and of dad calling her often just to check in. SD20 began complaining that I don't give my husband her messages, as he never returns her call. Truth told, he doesn't call any of his children ... ever. Now when SD20 comes to visit, she plops down almost in my husband's lap, offers to massage his shoulders, and constantly asks when they can go out together. I know part of the problem is she's jealous of the relationship she thinks her sister has with dad, but I'm not sure if that is all of it.

A couple of weeks ago, SD20 came to visit wearing a necklace and earrings we'd given her for her birthday. She said she loved it and told everyone her father had given it to her. When he informed her that I'd picked it out and bought it, she immediately stated that she didn't want any gift from me, that she didn't want me to buy her anything. I was surprised at her outburst and replied, "That's fine. I won't buy you anything else."

Of course, I feel unappreciated, insulted, and confused. I didn't feel this way before the girls grew up. They used to remember me on Mother's Day and my birthday. Now, they never do. I am the one who phones them and asks about them, not my husband. I'm the one who plans their birthday dinners and buys their gifts. Now when the girls come, they act as if I'm not even present, ignoring me completely or interrupting me as if I'm not even speaking. They've never thanked me for dinners or gifts, only their father. I don't want to be petty, but I'm tired of this. I do love the girls dearly, but I don't understand their behavior, and I'm beginning to resent the way they're now treating me.

If it were left to my husband, he'd never call, never invite them over, and never buy gifts -- not because he doesn't love them, he truly does -- but because he would never think of it.

They called the other night and asked my husband to dinner without me. I do understand that they want to spend time alone with their father, but without consulting me, he told them he'd get back with them about a time we could both come. I'm sure this will be my fault as well.

Could anyone please share any insight into what's going on with SD20? She's never seemed jealous of me before the last couple of years, and I'm not even sure that's it. Should I just let my husband handle any future contact with the girls? I've read a lot about stepdaughters being jealous of new stepmoms, but nothing about jealousy developing after 10 years!

Comments (43)