SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steppschild

Fiance's adult D just moved back in with us

steppschild
15 years ago

My fiance and I are both in our late forties. He has two daughters, one 19 and the other 24; and I have no children. We have been together more than 10 years and I moved in to his home a few years ago. I got along well with both D's prior to the move; however, after the move my relationship with the oldest took a rapid decline. Before the move, their father told D's that they would no longer live like "animals" and that I was not to be the housekeeper. My furniture was virtually new and it was decided that it would come with me to his house.

The eldest D didn't like it that I wanted my possession treated with respect. She had previously ruined her dad's sofa by leaning her freshly dyed, hot-pink, wet hair on the fabric. Both D's were very rough and ruined some of my things. I bit my tongue for as long as I could and finally tried to talk to their father about it. He would speak to them, but things would quickly revert. I probably should have left then, and told him that he needed to finish raising his kids before asking someone to move in with him.

When her dad wasn't around, the oldest D would be rude to me, refusing to say hello when I came in from work, or she would just walk out of the room when I entered, leaving the television on or whatever she was doing. She acted like a five year old. I mentioned the behavior to her dad, he tried to resolve the situation, but eventually threw his hands in the air, saying that she was stubborn. He now felt frustrated and caught in the middle.

Fast forward to Spring '07. She moved out with her beau and signed a one year lease. Yippie! The tension in our house diminished and it was very nice. A couple of months ago we decided that we would marry this fall. About the same time D wanted to move back home. She and beau, who had a crappy job, were finding real world responsibilities challenging and they need cheaper rent. It was because they acquired five pets (four are hers) that they could not find a cheaper place to live. Her dad said she could move back home (beau went to his mom).

Fiance told me that he would charge her rent, that she had to keep her rodents in her room at all times, and that he was giving both she and her sister new house rules. D has been home one month, hasn't been charged rent, doesn't take care of rodents and house smells, doesn't pick up after her dog's messes, nor does she take care of it (food and water). She sends her dog outside to relieve himself when I am putting out my dog. She told dad the other day that we were "running out of milk". I'm feeling really used and offended by her entitled behavior. As an aside, she and beau suddenly have the money to take a one month European vacation - we watch the dog and a co-worker watches the rodents! Clearly dad needs to step up to the plate, but he doesn't want to be the bad guy.

I am very frustrated and ready to cancel our marriage plans. I know if I do, we will end on a bitter note. Any suggestions of how I can adjust my attitude or speak to him without having him feel like he is in the middle? I don't think speaking with her is a good idea. Maybe this is a losing situation.

Sorry this was so long.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES