SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cubbiebear_gw

i don't want to be the evil stepmom

cubbiebear
16 years ago

This is my first post, though I've been reading this forum for a while. It's the only thing I've found on the internet that's given me any insight into stepfamilies. I could really use some advice.

I'm married for the first time; my husband has three kids (15, 11, 6) from his first marriage. 15yo and I get along fine; she's into her own teenage things and distancing herself from her Bparents, along with stepparents. 6yo (who has Downs, so really a lot like a 3-4yo) get along well too, he's naturally very affectionate and easy to love, acts up sometimes the way little kids do. 11yo is the biggest strain for me lately, very spoiled and bratty to me and him and her mom and stepdad and siblings, though I realize that's pretty normal for her age.

Our parenting styles are very different to say the least. He thinks I'm way too strict, I think he's way too indulgent. We had a fight today that I'm very saddened by. This fight, which we've had before, is about me being rude and mean and unloving to the kids - his words. If I say that what I'm telling them and expecting them is reasonable and normal for kids their age, he comes back with, things aren't normal for them, they've had to grow up with their parents split up, going back and forth between two homes, etc. He says I don't understand what it's like for them and I'm just trying to be mean and strict and be like my mother (he didn't ever know her; she died before we met; this is just a dig of his at me). Now, I come from a big family with a lot of nieces and nephews of all ages, and I think I know when I see it kids getting bad behavior reinforced by being spoiled, and a parent(two parents, BM is the same way) who wants to give and buy and get their childrens' affection but can't bear to discipline them at all. As a result, there's a lot of the kids (the 11yo especially, then the 6 yo, not so much the 15yo) manipulating both bioparents. DH basically has no control over 11yo; she controls him.

I realize this is probably typical, that a stepparent really has to step back and say practically nothing, because neither the kids nor the bio parents welcome your intrusion into their relationship. I do really feel shut out.

Today just because the six-year-old wasn't eating and I turned off the TV and told him to eat his lunch before he could go back to watching TV, DH blew up and said, among other things, why don't you go have your own kids so you can be mean to them, and leave mine alone!

I can't tell you how sad this made me, on Mother's Day weekend, to have him say mean things about my mother, and to me, and then that last part about go have your own kids and be mean to them and not mine. It's particularly sad because, at the age we are (early 40s), and with financial and health issues, not to mention not ever having gotten on the same page about my role with the kids, I'm having to come to terms lately with the sad prospect of us maybe never having a child of our own. We have talked about it and were planning on trying, later this year, but, then he says stuff like that ...

DH is under an enormous amount of work and personal and financial stress right now, we both are, so I know that that's probably what led to us fighting like this. But when things calm down ... I'm not sure how to proceed. If I disengage and just go about my work and the cooking and the laundry, I'm criticized for being cold and unloving. If I say the slightest thing to them, or about them, I'm being mean.

Am I really such unsuitable parent material that I'm a fool for thinking I could ever raise a child, or participate at all in helping him raise his? Or does he just need for me to be the bad cop so he can be the good cop? Why does he make me into the evil stepmom in front of them? What should I do?

Comments (57)