SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Window placement? Where sink?

kats_meow
12 years ago

Really need some help here.

I previously posted a kitchen layout for a house we planned to design. It does not have a window in the kitchen which is fine with me. The island bar was to have the sink and is countertop height, all of which I like.

PLAN 1

{{!gwi}}

We are considering changing our plan to work off of a different plan that I like a lot. The exception is the kitchen. Here is the kitchen, breakfast room, utility room (we would make the breakfast a little deeper):

PLAN 2

{{!gwi}}

The Plan 2 kitchen is similar shape to the one we originally were doing (Plan 1). One difference is that we don't need to have the entry at the "bottom" of the kitchen so we could close that in. So in a way we could simply put most of the Plan 1 kitchen in this kitchen space in Plan 2 (we would have to modify to put the pantry in the kitchen).

But...the problem is the window. Plan 2 has a window above the sink, with the cooktop on a central island and with a curved bar (with countertop at bar height). I really didn't want to have a central island with a separate bar. I've been sold on the idea of having a bar with countertop seating and liked the idea of the sink located as in Plan 1.

But with the window, it does seem to call for the sink to be beneath the window and there is no place to put the cooktop on that wall.

Options I see:

1. Move the window (where?) and then put the cooktop where the sink is on Plan 2 and then put the bar in from Plan 1 and put the sink in the bar (the pantry would probably be changed to be next to the oven whre the entry is now that I don't need. I probably like this the best if there is some place to put a window that doesn't look weird and isn't above the sink?

2. Keep the sink as is, use the counterheight bar from Plan 1 and put the cooktop (induction) on it. We don't use the cooktop every day and don't entertain much so maybe that works.

3. Same as 2 but make the bar area bar height. But I really wanted the counterheight seating.

4. Leave the sink as is, leave the island cooktop as is but modify the bar to simply be counterheight.

5. Same as 1, but delete the window. Concerned then that the kitchen would be too dark?

6. Something else?

To give context. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers at home. DH and I plan to stay in this house forever. We don't usually have more than 1 cook and will have an induction cooktop, an oven and Advantium. We will use the Advantium more than the cooktop. Counters will be granite (probably Bianco Romano or similar), cherry cabinets. We rarely entertain. The breakfast area and the bar will be the only eating places.

Really would appreciate ideas, feedback.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz