SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

OK. So, what do you think of this?

purrus
12 years ago

I am growing increasingly paranoid about carpet in my basement. Not just due to possible moisture issues, but because I've always hated it for allergy reasons. I do better without years of dust trapped beneath a fibrous membrane, But I will do it if it turns out that Berber is the best option.

What about this ?

Black and white Armstrong VCT tile(classic black and classic white in the Imperial texture series).

Not just in the laundry room, but throughout the basement.

It would be set on the diagonal, so not just the basic squares.

Too much? Help me think through this, how to use wall colors to work with it, etc.

Or, should I just stick with carpet in the living area (cons are sweaty husband, ugh) and leave the B/W tiles for the laundry/future bath room?

Here's the laundry area

view from main living area toward laundry

main living area

So I ask of you, would the black/white checkerboard floor tile look be too much in this space? Ceiling is obviously painted black. Woudl something like this keep you from buying a house? (Clarification: do not plan to go all diner-theme, with red appliances and chrome fixtures. More of a classic look.)

I'd repaint the walls too, probably a deepish tan. (Open for sugghestions here as well.)

Comments (18)