SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

I think you're not supposed to mulch iris so what do I do?

aliska12000
15 years ago

Haven't posted on this forum before, have a few iris going, the bearded kind. Now I understand you aren't supposed to mulch them. That's ok where these are or I can pull the mulch away.

I've got 10 or 12 lace handkerchief iris, they are a different kind than the bearded, variegated leaves. The bed I'm going to put them in has as it's main feature 6 Austin roses spaced 5' apart with only about 10" at the most between them and the edge. It's so prone to weeds, especially that horrid grass with runners, that after cultivating it tonight, I'm going to have to go into some kind of lasagne bed type of gardening.

With all the assorted plants going in there, I'm not going to be able to use my tiller again for cultivating that area because there won't be enough room between the plants.

I was going to lay down wet newspaper first because I think cardboard would be too hard to plant around/through. Then I plan on adding a generous layer of shredded leaves from last fall, and was hoping I wouldn't have to use my cypress mulch for this big area but may have to.

Do I dare mulch these iris? Otherwise, I'll have to pull the paper and whatever away from all of them after they're planted. They look healthy in their pots, have had to put them on hold until I got my tiller back, so they are late going in but still look healthy. I read a couple posters who said once they got this kind in the ground they lost them, but whatever happens happens. I wanted to run a soaker hose down one length and back up the other but should probably do that before I start setting plants which is going to cause more delay if I do that.

On top of everything else, when it gets hot, it's going to be too much to water that long area with the hose, probably more than 40' long and 24 to 30 inches wide, wish I could make it wider but can't right now.

Any thoughts and have any of you had to cope with something like this?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES